00 - Graduation Day

StellaTen years ago

Stella
Ten years ago

It wasn't easy for me to keep going, but I did. And I made it. I think?

Of course, I did. I've always wanted to be an architect. I've always had that vision of my designs being brought to life with people referring to those buildings as Architect Stella Moretti's work. It's just that, two months ago, I have a different view of what my graduation would be. My friends and I would be celebrating, that finally, we made it through college. My family would be here, and they'd be so proud of me; giving me all the hugs and kisses, and the love that I deserve for this big moment. And then, there would be Chris... who told me many months ago that he'll be here, celebrating my achievements as if it's his as well.

But here I am waiting for my friends as they celebrate with their family, all taking as many photos and they can take. Sebastian is too occupied as well, getting dragged here and there by his cousins and uncles. The look on their faces can't get anymore prouder on their one and only civil engineer. I smiled. We're gonna be partners for life, even after we got married and have kids. He's gonna be the structural engineer of all of my designs, I'll make sure of it. If we go down, then we go down together. Let's just hope that not our projects. I'd like for it to stand tall and not harm people.

The loud noises of celebration sound silent to me as I sat and wait. My parents were able to go up with me at the stage, but they have to leave due to company problems. I didn't even get to say goodbye properly. I was sitting there with my batchmates when I made eye contact with my Dad and he signaled to me that they have to go. Urgent meeting, apparently. My eyes scanned the crowd, hoping to see him at least. We broke up two weeks ago, but for some reason, I still have that glimmer of hope that he'll be here. He knows that it's graduation day, and I know for sure that he's here. Graduation day won't except classes for grad students, not even a storm would stop them.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turn. Sebastian smiled softly, "Mom said you should eat dinner with us." I looked behind him and saw his family, watching him talk to me. His mother gave me sad smile, like she knew all of my feelings that I'm trying to hide. Well, I know she knows. She has been a great second mother. Sometimes, she's more than a mom than my mom ever was. All the love and care... I learned most of it from her. And it's sad to say that I have learned those things from my best friend's mom. I'm grateful, but, wouldn't it be nice if I have had that with my own parents?

Sighing, "It's fine. I'll be fine." My voice wavered, "I can just go home and wait for my parents there."

Sebastian urged me to stand and I did. He held my hand for a while, squeezing it, and twining it together. "Your dad said that they'll be coming home late. He told my mom to take you in for graduation dinner." I sucked in a breath. "It's okay, Stella. You're pretty much my mom's adopted daughter at this point. I just don't think I can take you as a sibling."

There was meaning behind his words and I tried my best not to wince. "Loosen up, tiger. I'm trying to make you laugh here." He nudged. "Come on. I'm hungry as hell. I didn't even think that graduations last this long."

And so I went with him. He walked me to his family and they all welcome me, giving me their congratulatory speeches that they probably already said to Sebastian. Then, they gave me all the hugs and kisses they have left. I felt appreciated. I have no problems in getting crumbs of love from a family of others. Ever since I was young, I have yearned for it. And Sebastian allowed me to have that.

"Mom, Stella and I want pasta and steak." Sebastian announced when he sat next to me. I looked at him. I didn't say anything, you—

"Good. Because I'm also craving for pasta, thank God for Stella." Sebastian's mom beamed. "I know you just copied what she wants Sebastian. You'd rather eat something else."

"Just trying to impress your daughter, Mom." He snickers, afterwards.

"Surely. I'm proud of you, Stella. One of these days, I'll ask for you to design me a home, I know it's gonna look fantastic." Don't let the tears fall, Stella, don't let them.

Taking a deep breath, I said, "Thank you. I'm very honored. But I also need to get my license first."

"We'll pass the exam in one go, Stell. Manifest it." Sebastian wrapped his arms around me. "One last exam, and we'll have those titles in our names."