Chapter 50

I'll upload early if I get 20 votes!! Thank you everyone for reading--we are nearing the end!

The woods are surprisingly quiet at night. Other than the faint buzzing of crickets, there's not much noise. I watch a lightning bug fly on by. It glows a beautiful green before fading into black and flying away. Off in the distance, the lake is calm.

"Hurry up Mer!" Rosalie calls.

I stop admiring the view and head down the steps of the lake house, marshmallow bags in hand. Once I get to the bonfire pit, I toss the bags to Rosalie and Joel. Those two rip the plastic open and each grab a fluffy marshmallow, sticking it on the end of their skewers. They start roasting their marshmallows and pass the bags around. Everyone grabs a marshmallow and holds it over the fire.

"I haven't done this since I was a kid," Caden says.

"Boy Scouts?" Emma asks him.

He nods his head. I look over at him, surprised. "You don't strike me as the type to have done Boy Scouts."

"Why?" He asks.

"Too mischievous. Not enough discipline for them."

Caden laughs. "That's true. I gave our troop leader such grief. And my parents too. See, I ate more popcorn than I sold. My parents had to pay so much just to cover the boxes I ate. Eating your own supplies worth of popcorn—not very Boy Scout friendly."

I shake my head at him. "What about you?" He asks me. "Did you have a rebellious streak?"

Rosalie laughs. "Miss goody two shoes? Never."

I stick my tongue out at her. "Rosalie was always the problematic one," I explain. "Sneaking out on dates with Joel in middle school. Always out in the dead of night."

Nick chimes in. "You don't know how many times I caught those two fooling around in the basement."

Caden looks back and forth between Nick and Joel. "Wait, are you two brothers?"

"Unfortunately," they both chorus.

Emma rolls her eyes. "You can't tell, can you? They look nothing alike."

It's true. Joel is a blonde-haired, blue-eyed buff beast of a man. And Nick is much more lean with chestnut brown hair and brown, hazel eyes.

"Wow, I feel so stupid. How did I not know that? So how do you all know each other? Everyone explain," Caden demands.

"Well, of course Rosalie and I are sisters. Rosalie started dating Joel in middle school, which is how I met him. And then eventually I met his older brother, AKA Nick, after being around Joel for so long. We even dated for a hot minute in high school, but we knew we'd be better off as friends. Emma and I met in college, which is where she met Nick and then consequently met Joel and Rosalie. We all sort of blend together."

"And now there's you," Emma adds, looking at Caden.

"And now there's me," Caden echoes.

I shift so that I'm leaning on him. He switches the skewer he's holding to his other hand and uses his free arm to wrap around me.

"So when's the wedding you two?" Joel grins.

I turn in Caden's arms to see his face, entirely caught off guard. Caden looks down at me and sends me his signature smirk. It's the devilish one that's gotten him into so much trouble. "We haven't really talked about it yet to be honest."

"Well there's no rush of course," Joel says.

I grin at him. "Of course."

~~~~
"I feel so fat," I groan, laying back flat on the edge of the bed with my feet on the ground. My hands rub down my swollen belly. Caden walks over to me before getting down on his knees. He moves my hands, lifting up my shirt to kiss my stomach. I lift my head up to look at him.