Chapter 9

The following day Isaac got up and went to class just fine. Though, he still wasn't that interested in his classes. Isaac returned home a few hours later and prepared an early dinner. It was Isaac's day to cook, but he had a bunch of homework and readings to catch up on, so he wouldn't be able to cook later. Isaac saved the food he cooked in containers and holed up in his room. The three girls weren't around during any of this because they went to hang out. Still with some snacks, Isaac went to his room with a pile of homework and books on his desk.

           As soon as Isaac sat down at his desk, a knock sounded through the front door. Isaac sighed but got up and walked out of his room and to the front door. When Isaac opened the door, Elaine was standing there with a smile. Isaac spoke first, "Hey. Come on in." Elaine walked in and replied, "Thank you. How are you doing today?" Isaac closed the door and started to walk towards his room, "I got a bunch of readings and homework to do." Elaine followed him, "That's okay. I can just work on some patient notes while you work on your schoolwork." Isaac didn't respond but added another chair to his desk. Elaine pulled out a laptop from her purse, and Isaac sat down next to her and started reading.

           The two didn't speak for a while, but Elaine stopped typing and leaned back to stretch, "You want some tea? I heard it can help you concentrate." Isaac didn't stop reading but responded, "Yea, sure." Elaine got up and walked out of the room. After a few minutes, Elaine returned and set a cup next to Isaac. Elaine stood over Isaac and watched him read, "Ah, Intro to Psych, I miss that class." Isaac stopped reading and took a sip of the tea, "Yea, you said you were a therapist, right?" Elaine nodded and sat down in her chair, "Yea. It's a lot of work, though. I'm even technically working right now." Isaac chuckled, "Sounds tough." Elaine smiled, "Oh, it is. I would talk about the different patients I've had too, but I can't because of laws and stuff." Isaac returned to reading but responded one final time, "That's too bad."

           After about two hours, Aisha, Ain, and Kalee returned home. Aisha knocked on Isaac's door while Kalee heated up the dinner that Isaac had made. Isaac didn't move, but Elaine got up and answered the door. Aisha looked surprised as Elaine answered the door, "Oh, I didn't know you were here." Elaine smiled, "Sorry, I'm coming over every day after work." Aisha looked into the room to see Isaac reading, "Ah, I see. I'm guessing he doesn't want to eat with us then?" Isaac didn't look up, but spoke curtly to Aisha, "I'm busy with a bunch of schoolwork." Elaine smiled bitterly, "We've also been snacking a bunch, so we'll eat later." Aisha smiled back happily, "That's okay. Enjoy your time together." Elaine blushed, "You don't have to say it like that, y'know?" Elaine's reaction caused Aisha, Kalee, and Ain to start giggling to themselves, so Elaine quietly started to close the door, embarrassed.

           Isaac scoffed after Elaine closed the door, "She got you good." Elaine responded while still blushing, "I know I said I was okay with anything, but let's hold off on anything lewd, okay?" Isaac didn't stop reading as he responded, "Don't worry, I'm not that type of guy." Elaine calmed down and returned to her seat next to Isaac. Isaac spent a couple more hours reading and working on his homework, but he finally finished everything. He closed his books and looked over to see Elaine with her head on the table, asleep. Isaac smiled gently and stood up. He took a blanket from his bed and wrapped it around Elaine, and then he made his way to the living room. Aisha was standing in the corner but didn't speak to him. Kalee and Ain were probably in their room watching TV. Isaac started to heat up the food he cooked earlier when he spoke to Aisha, "You don't have to stand out here like a stranger." Aisha looked like she was in sleep mode, but she actually was just pretending. So she responded, "I don't want to get in the way of your and Elaine's relationship." Isaac let out an annoyed sigh as he grabbed two plates with food on it, "Then I want you to act like things are normal for now. I'm not prepared to talk to you and get everything off my chest, but I still feel bad if you act like a complete stranger to me."