Chapter 11

Elaine woke up first the next day. She and Isaac were still facing each other, which made Elaine blush. She slowly moved to sit up with her feet hanging off the bed. She stared down at her feet and sighed. She was thinking about everything that happened yesterday. She has no problems talking about her past or helping Isaac with his past, but that sigh was one of confused emotions. She really wanted to love Isaac, but she thinks she does. However, thanks to all the abuse she had gone through, she wasn't really sure. It's possible that she could just feel admiration or the need to protect Isaac from himself. Those thoughts occurred regularly in her mind. She knew she wanted to be with Isaac, and she hoped that that feeling would turn into love for him, but she wasn't sure when that would happen.

           Elaine stood up and made her way to the community living area for the dorm room. Kalee was also up and making coffee. Elaine grabbed a cup, and while waiting for her turn to use the single-use coffee machine, she greeted Kalee, "Good morning. Did you sleep well?" Kalee looked tired, but turned and nodded her head. Ain, who was sitting at the table, spoke for Kalee, "She's not much of a morning person, and we stayed up late watching tv shows, so she's not too talkative." Elaine giggled and responded to Ain, "I guess we all have those nights. Does Isaac drink coffee?" Ain thought and responded, "Not normally in the mornings. I think if he's really tired, he drinks some, though." Elaine nodded and decided to just get herself one cup of coffee.

           Elaine made her way back to Isaac's room and sat on the side of the bed she slept on. She watched Isaac sleep for a little while longer before putting her hand on the side of his face and spoke gently, "Isaac, it's time to get up." She felt Isaac move, and he slowly opened his eyes. Elaine smiled brightly to give Isaac something nice to look at in the morning. Isaac sleepily looked at Elaine, and greeted her, "Good morning." Elaine kept up her positive attitude, "Good morning. I didn't know if you drank coffee, so I only got myself some." Isaac sat up in bed and replied, "I'm good."

           Isaac looked over to his desk and saw the envelope. He sighed and started to get out of bed. Elaine frowned and tried to change the topic, "Do you want me to cook breakfast for you?" Isaac shook his head while making his way to the bathroom, "I got it. Eggs sound okay to you?" Elaine nodded, "Yea, scrambled, please." Elaine got up once Isaac went to the bathroom and moved to the living room. No one else was around, so she quietly sat there thinking to herself.

           Isaac came into the community living area and started to get stuff ready for breakfast. Around the same time, Kalee and Ain entered the living area too. Kalee greeted Isaac after sitting down on the couch, "Good morning. Can you make some for me?" Isaac nodded, "How do you want your eggs?" Kalee spoke brightly, "Sunny side up." Isaac nodded again and continued to cook for everyone.

           Eventually, breakfast was done, and Elaine helped Isaac set the table. Everyone, except Ain, ate breakfast together. Ain was still there but didn't eat food. The three girls talked cheerfully while Isaac sat and listened quietly. Elaine noticed Isaac being quiet, but he didn't seem depressed, so she let him be and didn't try to pry him open. Eventually, during a lull in the conversation, Isaac spoke to Ain, "Ain, can you tell Aisha to come back here?" Everyone looked at Isaac confusingly, while Ain responded, "Um... I can." She looked over to Elaine for confirmation, and she nodded. Isaac replied, "Thank you." He also quickly finished breakfast. Once he was finished, he cleaned up his plate and went back to his room. He moved so quickly that Elaine didn't realize that she also needed to finish and get back with him to talk and figure out what was going on inside of his head. So, she also finished eating quickly.

           Once she made her way back to Isaac's room, she saw him sitting at his desk with the envelope in his hands. She sat in the chair next to Isaac and spoke softly, "I thought this was the reason you've been so quiet." Isaac spoke while fondling the envelope, "Yea. Just been thinking about this." Elaine placed her hand on Isaac's shoulder, "Can I ask you one question before you open that letter?" Isaac looked over at Elaine and replied, "What is it?" Elaine tried to be as nice as she could while asking Isaac a very tough question, "How do you feel about me?" After a short pause, Elaine gave an explanation for her question, "I think I love you, or I at least really want to. I'm pretty sure you still love that Jessica girl, but I also want to be there in your heart. I also want to be there for you, but I learned in school that it may be tough for someone to interact and think about a past loved one while around someone trying to take their spot."