Preface

Hello there! I'm the author of this story, believe it or not. I'm sure it goes without saying, but this story is largely romance and action wrapped into a creative writing project, sponsored by my numerous romantic struggles. This is going to be almost entirely vanilla romance, which I'll try to make realistic. There's going to be some struggles and rough patches, but what kind of love doesn't have some?

     This'll be written following two characters interchangeably, Nejire Hado and Matthew Clouse. Matthew Clouse is the OC I cooked up, who'll be essentially your quintessential American teenager. An average 5'11", short to medium length straight brown hair, and wide hazel eyes come together to make him completely and utterly average. He won't necessarily have a ton of personality quirks, just a somewhat decent sense of humor and a sarcastic streak. There's obviously more to his character, but that's dipping into spoiler territory so I won't go there.

     Nejire will be almost entirely unchanged, except for a certain measure of her personality deviating from the mainline series. I want to make her character develop into what's introduced in the source material, so she won't be completely like what you'll see and expect. I'm much better at writing realistic dialogue than I am with some things you'd see in the anime, so that's the approach I'm going to take. Besides, these are teenagers. Personality quirks aside, they're all going to be snarky (bordering on annoying), immature, and only very occasionally mature (to an acceptable degree). That said, Nejire isn't going to be crazy about questioning people all the time, but I will do my best to work her character up to that point in a natural way.

     With all that said, it's about time to get into Matthew's quirk. It's a mouthful, but it'll make much more sense as you read about it being used I hope. It's called "Explosive Touch." While I'd love to make it a ripoff Killer Queen for ease of writing, it's not. The main idea is that when something makes contact with his body, Matthew can apply a kind of property to it that causes an explosion in some way. This works through layers like his clothes since I don't want to write about half-naked teenagers, unlike Horikoshi. He can throw a ball and make it explode on contact with something, he can hold a weapon and make it explode on contact, he can use it on his hands and feet to fight as well. This is generally the baseline at which his quirk starts, but as the story progresses he'll get better with his quirk and learn to use it in new and stronger ways. Since I wanted to have some fun and spectacle with it, depending on certain factors the explosions will change colors. Some of these are story related, but for the most part they'll just be environmental. Like if he is detonating something made of copper or there's copper dust in the air, the flames will be bluish-green instead of the usual orange & blue.

     Matthew is going to be far from overpowered (and will stay that way for probably a large majority of the story), since that's just not fun to read or write (at least in my experience). He's going to struggle, he's going to get his ass kicked, but he's not going to be a punching bag by any means. I think anything else is better left experienced while reading, so as long as you have a general idea of the main character you should be alright. That's enough from me though, go ahead and get reading. Enjoy!