My First Love

Emily POV

I sit down at the counter and reach into my bag after a long day of school. Great. I left my sketch book at home. Why did I wake up late today? What am I going to do now? My dad's restaurant, Al's Diner, is great and all, but it's pretty boring to have to stay here all day with nothing to do. Normally I draw, but some idiot forgot her sketch book at home because she just had to sleep in. Great, just perfect. My teachers just had to pick today not to give us homework so I really don't have anything to do. Not that I would have done it untill we were getting close to closing time. Oh hey, there are some napkins over there. I guess I could draw on those while I wait.

About an hour has passed and I'm almost done with my napkin drawing. I know, who takes an hour to draw on a napkin, well you know what creativity takes time. *ding* Another customer, fun, not like I care. Back to my drawing.

Mike POV

Hm... Do I want a strawberry milkshake or a vanilla one? I know I want a cheese burger and some fries, but what milkshake? "Dude, did you decide already" I hear my best friend Chester say. I turn and reply, "not really, I can't decide yet." Chester whines loudly, "Hurry up dude I'm starving! You're taking forever! My stomach needs food! Make a choice already, food is food! just...." Before he could go on further Dave, my other best friend or Phoenix as we call him, steps in front of Chester and places his order. "Alright, I'll have a burger with fries and a soda" Phoenix tells the guy taking the order. As the guy is giving Phoenix his change Chester yells, "Dude, what the hell! We didn't even order yet!" Phoenix shrugs, "Mike was taking too long and you were making a scene just like you are now. I'm just going to sit down at the counter and wait for you guys now." I chuckle because that's just like Dave to do something like that. Oh, I got it, I know what I want to order. I step up to the order area, "hi, can I have..." Chester pushes me out of the way, "You're taking too long. Can I have a double cheese burger and a chocolate milkshake. Thanks." Then he walks away with his receipt and order number and walks to where Phoenix is sitting at. I shake my head and make sure that there isn't another Chester and place my order, "I'll take a cheese burger with fries and a strawberry milkshake. Thanks." I take my change and order number and walk to where my friends are.

A few minutes pass by and we get our order. As I'm about to take a bite out of my burger Chester speaks, "really, it took you forever to decided what milkshake to get and you pick strawberry?" I shrug, "I like strawberry." Chester shakes his head, "that's not the point. You ALWAYS get strawberry, and you ALWAYS try to choose between strawberry and vanilla, but pick strawberry anyways." Phoenix laughs and we spend the rest of our meal in silence (well as quiet as it can be with Chester here).

We finish our food and I just threw away my trash (including the basket that was holding my fries that I didn't get any off because someone, Chester, ate it all). I grab my milkshake (about a quarter full) in a Togo cup and was going to walk to the trashcan. "Mike, wait. Throw away my trash too" I hear Chester say. I turn to look at him, "no, it's your trash." I should have known he wouldn't let me get away with that. I was almost to the trashcan when Chester pushed me and made me fall on the counter spilling my milkshake in front of this girl. "I'm sor-..." I start to say, but the girl cuts me off. "What the hell man! Do you know what you just did! I was almost done and you just go and spill your shake all over it!" I try to explain to her, "it was an accident; my friend pushed me." Chester decides he needs to talk and say, "you know if you just agreed to throw away my trash, this wouldn't have happened." He pats my back and walks away. I glare at him and turn back to the girl. She still looks really mad, "look, you son of a gun, I don't care whose fault it is. Just clean it up. I..." Just then her dad calls for her. "Whatever, just watch where you're going next time and clean this up" she says then walks away. I couldn't believe this, it's not even my fault! I sigh as I grab some more napkins and start to clean up the mess. As I was about to reach for more napkins I noticed a napkin with a drawing on it with the corner stained with strawberry milkshake. So she's an artist huh? it's actually not that bad. "Mike, hurry up, we're leaving" I hear Chester say. "Alright. Let me clean this up first" I yell back. I finish cleaning up and put the napkin with the drawing into my jacket pocket.