18. A Snake's Nemesis

As it turned out, Hypnos's rinsing mint wasn't exactly the garden variety.

It turned my skin luminous as soon as physical darkness envelopes me.

I discovered this back in the chasm on Cisthene Isle while retracing my steps down the stony staircase trying to lure Epiales out. Back then, my body had lit up the instance darkness encircled me.

Of course, it had shocked and awed me back then to witness this phenomenon.

It made me wonder if perhaps back at the front of his cave, while comforting me, the God of dreams had sensed my psychological fear of darkness. I mean, I assumed as a god he would probably know the what and where of my plans, thus, decided to aid me...

...I don't know. But, whatever Hypnos's intention was for doing it, I'm grateful, since it turned out in my favour today.

For, the very instance I stepped inside Typhon's dingy cave, as I had anticipated, I shined like a human torch.

Right now, as I walk behind Hades with my bow and arrow pointing at his back, I recall with a gloating grin, how earlier he had turned around to look at me and bolted for ten metres as soon as the cave lit up!

I guess, I reflect, briefly scanning the cave-that-isn't-a-cave's very spacious interior, he believed my lie about the sun's power in the end...

Sometimes later, after silently trekking through the labyrinthine underground tunnels I can never find my way out of, I finally see red light, albeit very weak, up ahead.

On approach and before I even see it, I conclude we are about to emerge at the heart of the cave-that-isn't-a-cave.

And from the dry heat on my skin, I am convinced, I'm inside an active volcano.

A choked-off (by a sheet of clear crystal that acts as translucent flooring) throat of a hyper-active volcano is what we're now emerging onto.

Though, that's the least of my problems.

Upon emergence from the tunnel's end, I nearly gasp out loud from indescribable alarm when I see Typhon.

He sits on his throne crafted from black diamond as large and tall as he is, at the centre of the volcanic chamber fronting my direction

He sits on his throne crafted from black diamond as large and tall as he is, at the centre of the volcanic chamber fronting my direction. Adding to my dismay, my peripheral sight takes in the flowing red lava visible underneath our feet, thanks to the transparent sheet of crystal floor.

It's a truly sickening visual experience for me personally with the true horror being Typhon himself.

Beholding him, I must admit, the Father of all monstrous beasts makes more of a nightmarish vision in his physical form than as a fragment of Aquila's memory.

On combative instinct, I promptly swing the focal point of my loaded arrow up at him. My panicky heart hammering away in my chest.

All the while, I keep thinking: I need to get out of here as quickly as possible--