22. A Snake's Happy Ending (The End)

Tears fall from my hallowed out eyes as I kneel crying on the edge of Thousand Sorrows Cliff in Underworld.

In my mind's eye, in desperation, I keep envision the bed I'd shared with Aquila.

I desperately wanted him to fall onto our bed from whichever world he was taken into by the portal before it resealed.

Right now, I can only see total darkness and had been for the past several hours ever since Aquila and Hermes had been violently struck into sky portal just as it was closing.

Since that horrible incident, I dared not stop conjuring image of the bed I shared with Aquila for him to fall onto.

...Yes, it has been three hours since the cosmic war for my worlds was fought and won by the Olympians.

He's really gone...

This devastatingly final admission deals my heart its terminal blow. Shattering it into pieces beyond salvageable.

...Aquila is forever lost to me...

Accepting this heart-wrenching reality hurts so unbearably that I want rip my heart from my chest to stop the pain!

Because with him gone, how can I live like I did before? How can I hope to go on in a world where he was the bright light and vitality that give my world its colours and meanings?

It's impossible as long as he lives in my memories and heart.

It's impossible as long as I am still living.

Is this the price I have to pay for who I am beyond skin-deep?

If so, from the beginning, if the decision were mine to make, would I feel happier to disown my majestic identity to live as a happy-go-lucky serpent?

Despite my harrowing heartache, a part of me doesn't want to deny the precious existence of my immortal family. Nor do I wish to disown the beautiful friendship I had forged with Themiste.

I don't want to give up any of those even if I'm prepared to do so with everything else.

Then, what about my love for Aquila? It is the primary source of my devastating heartache, after all?

Would I've been better off never meeting him? Never having to feel this gnawing heartache from loving then losing him?

Reminiscing on my life before Aquila, I doubt it wholeheartedly.

I weep again in despair acknowledging I might never be able to see him again in this life. I feel such piercing heartbreak when I envision my future without him by my side.

How naive was I? Believing the despair and heartache I'd felt losing my lover in my recurrent nightmare had hardened my heart for it to hurt less now that that nightmare had come reality?

And right now, even after several hours had come to pass, the excruciating pain and heartbreak of my immense loss still feel as vivid as from when I've watched in sheer horror the very moment when Aquila was snatched from me.

When the eclipse was coming to an end causing the sky portal to reseal, Typhon, just before vanishing to the place I sent him in my mind, had swiped one of his arms at the eagle-Aquila with Hermes still on his back into the portal.

As a result, my eyes were knocked from Hermes's grip and fell into the resealing portal.

Hermes had managed to quickly fly out to save himself in time. But, Aquila had foolishly flown into the shrinking portal, going after a pair of eyes he didn't even know who the owner was!