The Interview

Selene woke up that spring morning feeling refreshed and confident. Ready to take on her second and hopefully final interview with the Cardiologists office she had sent her resume to. She had already met with the office manager who she clicked with instantly, so the feeling of already having the job was lingering in her stomach. Selene was meeting the head doctor who ran the office today so she thought she better look as pretty and professional as she could. She pulled a silky, body hugging sky blue dress with coral print from her closet and thought for a moment that it may not be appropriate but something told her to wear it anyway. Pulling into the hospital parking garage, her nerves started to create butterflies and her heart began to beat a little faster. She hoped the doctor liked her. Stepping through the ceiling to floor glass doors of the office into an elegant ambiance that she felt at ease in, Patricia (the manager) greeted her at the front window and invited her through the side door. Patricia escorted Selene to the back corner of the beautiful office that was straight out of an architectural digest magazine with unique art hanging on every wall. She already liked the vibe of this place. And then she saw him. Sitting in his office chair in black scrubs, long legs spread as his big hands gripped her resume, he looked up into her eyes and she felt herself get wet suddenly. Instantly. "Hey there, I'm Dr. Rose", he said in a confident and cheerful tone, making her feel welcome and warm. "Please have a seat let's chat". She sat opposite of him with her ankles crossed and hands resting delicately in her lap, full attention on his face and eyes. "So it looks like you're a little overqualified to work here. You have an associates and working towards bachelors but it doesn't look like it's heart related...why work for me?" She felt her face get red, did he not like her? "I don't feel like I'm overqualified as I don't have my bachelors in psychology yet and I have always had an interest in the medical field so I feel like I could be a great asset for you. I'm a quick learner and I'm willing to do whatever you need me to". He glanced over his glasses and she felt his eyes bare into her soul. It was hard to look away from him. Usually she had a difficult time maintaining eye contact with people, it felt slightly awkward. But he made it easy. "So how long would you work for us if we were to hire you, being that you're graduating in a year or so?" He was calm and gentle, not a harsh or demeaning tone in his voice. "Well I want to continue for my masters so I'm not sure if I would continue working here or not after my bachelors but you can have me for at least a year." The way she worded it sounded a little bit provocative but she saw a slight smirk in the corner of his stubble. "Well it sounds like you'd be a perfect fit. Let me discuss with Patricia and we will get back to you soon. Thanks for your time", he extended a large hand that enveloped hers as she took it gently and he squeezed firmly but tenderly. She felt electricity go through her entire body, she didn't want to leave his presence. Walking out of his office, she hoped he would send an offer letter soon.