The First 6 Months

She had started working for Dr. Rose in late spring, it was now the middle of winter and things hadn't gone as she thought they would with the doctor she had been admiring. They had still occasionally texted but kept it strictly about work and patients and the sporadic and surface level "how are things" here and there. Then one day out of no where, without even being prompted with a question about a patient, he texted her "how's it going" while he was out of the office. Selene smiled, he was thinking about her. A shiver ran through her but not just because she was happy to hear from him, it was genuinely freezing outside and in the office, "I'm cold, my body wasn't made for this weather. How are you?" She smirked to herself knowing that the comment about her body might give him the nudge he needed to say something more intimate. She was right. He responded, "I can't tell you what your body was made for, it would be unprofessional." She wanted to be more flirty, but was hesitant, so she played on the safe side while still showing interest. "Lol you're a smart man. By the way, don't think I'm weird for saying this, but you smell so good, what cologne do you wear?"
He replied, "Who said I don't think you're weird already? I can't tell you that. It's a secret. And even if I did tell you, my pheromones make me smell this specific way, no one else would smell quite like this even if they had the same cologne."
The weird comment made her giggle, she could tell he was quirky and she knew she was too. They had great chemistry and she felt more comfortable talking to him like she would a friend. She of course knew all about pheromones and how the same scent can take on completely different tones when combined with someone's biological chemicals. It was fascinating to her, just like he was. She replied, "well I guess I'll have to just keep wondering what it is you put on your body to make you smell so amazing." She waited for a reply. And waited. Nothing. She found herself deleting his texts before she went home for the day for the first time. She knew if her husband saw that he would not appreciate or approve of this new found friendship, if you could even call it that. She was worried that his lack of response meant disinterest, but she would soon realize just how wrong she was.