Chapter 3

"Where have you been?" I flew across the room and grasped Thomas' arms, after he'd closed the front door.

America's entry into the war had been announced a few days ago and men were enlisting left and right. I'd been ready to talk Thomas out of it long before anything was announced, but I waited. He hadn't mentioned it and I didn't want to put the idea in his head if it wasn't already there. Not to mention, he'd been sick and hadn't left the house much in the last week.

I regretted waiting when I went to wake him for breakfast this morning, and found his bed empty. I'd been so afraid that he'd gone to enlist without telling anyone, hoping to avoid a scene.

Thomas blinked at me for a few seconds, taken aback.

"I went to see Marianne," he said. "It's been over a week since I've been able to visit her."

I sagged with relief and hugged him tightly. He'd grown so tall, my arms were almost around his waist.

"Everything alright, Ma?" He wraped his arms around me.

"I was so afraid you went to enlist," I said, not wanting to loosen my grip.

When Thomas stiffened slightly and didn't answer, I did loosen it though. I pushed back, gripping his arms again, looking up into his serious face.

"Thomas, you can't!" I cried. "Promise me you won't do it!"

"Ma..." He avoided my eye.

"No!"

"Mother, it's a war." He faced me. "They need men. It's my duty." It sounded rehersed. Like he was trying to convince himself too.

"It's not your duty," I argued. "This isn't even our war!"

"It is now," he said simply.

"Thomas, no!" I said again in horror, gripping his arms tighter as my eyes filled with tears.

He sighed heavily. "Did you and Marianne plan this?" he accused. "I just went through all this with her."

I almost smiled. I really did like that girl.

"No," I said. "We both just love you and want you home, safe and sound."

He shook his head and glanced away. "It's a war," he said again. "People don't always have that luxury."

"Would you make Marianne a widow before you can even marry her?" I demanded. I knew it was a bit low to throw that at him, but if it kept him safe, I didn't care.

He met my eyes looking pained.

"I thought we were too young to get married." he said after a minute, raising an eyebrow.

They had wanted to get married last year, but both Marianne's parents and Andrew and I thought that at fifteen and seventeen, they were much too young. We insisted they wait at least two years.

"As long as you stay here, I'll plan your wedding myself," I said resolutely.

He watched me for a few seconds, trying to determine whether I meant it or not. When he realized that I did, he gave me a small smile. "I doubt her parents would be quite as agreeable," he said. "But at least I know I won't get any argument from you when we do decide it's time." He gave me a challenging look. "Right?"

I shook my head. "Not as long as you promise me you won't enlist."

"You know, I might not have a choice," he hedged. "There's going to be a draft."

"Fine. Register for the draft if you have to, but please don't volunteer," I pleaded.

He sighed again and his shoulders sagged slightly, letting me know I'd won. He'd always been a people-pleaser and hardly able to say no to either Marianne or myself.