Chapter 6

"What needs to be done?"

I glanced up from the peppers I was chopping as Julia hustled into the kitchen, looking as though she just fought a small war.

"From you, nothing," I said, focusing on the peppers again. "There's a cup of tea, waiting for you on the table."

"Oh Kat, really." Julia lifted the light blue apron from the hook on the wall and looped it over her head.

"Not a thing." I stopped and gave her my full attention. "You are going to sit down and relax." It was much harder to hold on to that stern mother's look that usually worked so well, when it was directed at my own mother.

"But-"

"But nothing." I didn't let her argue. "You did plenty earlier, so everything is mostly finished now. And Victoria is taking care of the pies."

Julia looked over to where Victoria was topping her second pie with a lattice crust and I smirked at the astonished look that crossed her face. Seeing one of her grandchildren doing work of any kind - especially so willingly - was probably a complete novelty.

After a minute, Julia sighed heavily and collapsed into the chair. "You're going to spoil me."

A quick glance told me that she was forcing the grumbling tone. It was impossible to miss the gratitude that she felt at the chance to sit down for a change.

"Good," I said. "You do too much as it is."

When I looked up and met her eyes, I knew she understood that I wasn't just talking about being in the kitchen too much.

"Why don't the girls help with cooking and the chores?" I asked, easing into the subject. That wasn't quite my biggest concern, but it was one of them. After all, the idea wasn't new to Julia. Jenny and I used to help her all the time when we were girls.

"Well, Ruby..." She hesitated, glancing at Victoria, probably not wanting to badmouth her cousin in front of her.

"Well, you know." She looked back at me with a wry smile.

I nodded, understanding completely. Ruby would be more trouble than any help she would provide.

"And what about Emily?" Emily was much better behaved than her sister and she was certainly old enough for the responsibility. At the very least, she should be assisting Julia.

Julia laughed. "That girl had best marry a man who can afford a cook! She's a complete disaster in the kitchen. Burns everything she touches."

Victoria giggled from behind me and I bit back a smile.

"The chores then." I refused to be side-tracked.

"Emily helps out around the house," she nodded. "And Matthew helps John, most days."

"And Ruby?" I raised an eyebrow, already guessing the answer.

"Like her mother, that one." Julia signed. "Only without your father's determination to keep her in line. Whenever I try to get her to do anything she doesn't want to do, she whines and carries on. Or like just you saw a few minutes ago, she runs to John because he gives her whatever she wants."

"I noticed." I frowned and went back to my chopping. "Have you tried talking to him?" John knew exactly how strong-willed and manipulative Jenny could be. Surely he saw those same traits in her daughter.

"A few times." She nodded. "But whenever I bring it up, he makes excuses for her behavior. He feels guilty."

"What ever for?" I looked up, mistified.

"Oh everything. You know what he's like."

I did know. Thomas was the same way, taking responsibility for things he couldn't control.

"He feels responsible for Jenny," she said. "That it was his fault, her having a child at her age."

"She wasn't very old," I protested. Jenny had only been a little passed thirty.

"I know," she agreed. "But the doctor warned her that he didn't feel she was strong enough after Ruby. He wanted to do some surgery, but of course Jenny wouldn't have it. Thought she wouldn't be whole. John blames himself for not making her go through with it."

This was the first time I'd heard any of this. It was just like Jenny to be pig-headed enough not to listen to the doctor, and then want to keep it from even me.

"He feels guilty that Ruby doesn't have a mother," Julia said. "So he spoils her."

"She doesn't need pity. She needs love and boundaries."

"I know she does." Julia nodded, taking a sip of her tea.

"Why doesn't he remarry?" As soon as I said it, I was surprised by how much I hated the idea.

It was the logical solution, though. It had been five years since Jenny died. John had children to raise and he wasn't very old. He was still young enough to have more children if he wanted to. He was lovable, good looking, and well-off enough that he'd have his pick of any number of women.

But something about the idea just bothered me.

It wasn't jealousy. I was in love with Andrew and we had a happy marriage. I hadn't thought romantically about John for a very long time. For some reason though, the idea of seeing him marry someone else, just didn't set well.

I suppose I felt somewhat territorial where John was concerned. I probably always would. It had been one thing to see him with Jenny, who I loved. Anyone else just wouldn't be good enough for him. And I couldn't imagine that he'd find anyone with the determination and nerve to control Ruby.

"He says he'll never marry again." Julia pulled me from my thoughts. "Says once was enough."

I felt selfish about being happy to hear that. It made me feel better, but it left some problems without solutions. Ruby needed a mother, and Julia needed to not have to fill in as one any longer.

"No sense in worrying about that now," she said. "Nothing is changing at the moment, and I have a feeling the men are going to be breaking down the door any minute for their supper."

I half-smiled, not feeling any better about all of this.

"I suppose you're right." I resumed my chopping and allowed the subject to drop. "We wouldn't want our poor men to starve. And on Christmas Eve, of all days."

I was still worried about Julia, but she was right. There wasn't anything to do about it right now. Besides, I knew she didn't like focusing on her own problems. Especially ones without a foreseeable solution.