Chapter 9 - Baseball

The sun shined brightly over the town's baseball field. Sonic was seen as the announcer as Y/n, Tails, Knuckles, Tom, and Maddie were spread throughout the field.

"It's truly a beautiful day for baseball here in Green Hills. An exciting lineup today with the debut appearance of three new players!" Sonic commentated.

"On the mound, rookie sensation from across the galaxy, Miles "Tails" Prower! With his teammate, the unstoppable Y/n! Both facing off against the powerhouse, Knuckles the Echidna!" He announced. As he said, Tails was on the mound, ready to pitch as Y/n was centerfield and Knuckles was ready to bat.

"I don't understand. Why am I angry at the enemy ball?" Knuckles questioned, holding the bat in confusion.

"You're not angry. You just want to hit it as hard as you can and then run around the bases," Sonic replied.

"But if my quest ends where I am standing, why run at all?" The echidna pointed out.

"I can't with this guy. Why do I even try?" Sonic asked himself.

"He has a point though!" Y/n shouted, making Sonic roll his eyes as he zipped to the mound behind Knuckles.

"This is just a game. We're out here having fun. Just having some fun!" Shouted Tom and Maddie.

"Fun," Knuckles pondered.

"All right! Give him the heat, Tails!" Sonic said.

"Hope you're ready for my fastball!" The fox warned.

"Your fastball will be dishonored. And so will you, fox," Knuckles responded.

"Don't listen to him Tails! You got this!" Y/n cheered.

"Don't think about it too much. Just keep your elbow up, eye on the ball and give it a ride!" Tom suggested.

"A ride? To where?" Knuckles asked.

No one responded as Tails proceeded to wind up his arm, tossing the ball into the air and grabbing it with his tails, which he then used to throw the ball at Knuckles.

Knuckles decided to drop the bat as he powered up his fist. "Power bump!" He used his fist and punched the ball straight over Tails' head as Y/n jumped up in attempt to catch it, but it's probably a good thing they missed because it was sent through the score board, creating a hole.

"Might've dodged a bullet there," the a/t muttered.

"Hah! Victory is mine!" Knuckles exclaimed excitedly, running to all the bases.

"Hey, no fair! That shouldn't count," Tails complained.

"I think that was our only ball," said Tom.

"I have conquered the second of the bases!" Knuckles shouted, happily running between bases.

"Who wants ice cream?" Maddie said, changing the subject.

"Ice cream!" Sonic perked up at that.

"Ice cream, yeah!" Tails cheered.

"Sweet! Yes please!" Y/n cheered alongside Tails.

Knuckles returned to home base before tuning into the conversation. "I am having the fun! What is ice cream?" He asked, walking over to the other three aliens.

"It's a dessert. If you like fun, you're gonna love it," Sonic explained.

"Yum. Dessert. Does it have grapes in it?" He asked.

Sonic looked confused. "No, not usually," he answered.

"I don't think that's a thing," added Y/n.

Knuckles didn't hear the a/t's comment as he scooped up Tails and put in on his shoulder. "Come on, fox. Our dessert adventure awaits!" he exclaimed, walking to the truck.

Y/n followed and smiled at the two, glad that they and Tails had new friends they could consider Family.

Tails was put down and jumped up into the back of the truck. "Come on, Y/n! You too Knuckles!" he called.

"My victory chariot!" Knuckles exclaimed, leaping into the back, making the vehicle shake.

Y/n shook their head with a smirk and leaped up into the truck bed between the two. "I'm definitely adding sprinkles on mine," they said, making Knuckles perk up.

"They have those?" he asked as Y/n nodded.

Sonic and Tom raced over, with Sonic winning, landing on the truck with a pose and sliding into the back with the others. "Sonic, I have just been told they have sprinkles!" Knuckles informed the hedgehog, hitting the car a bit.

"Ice cream and sprinkles? This is your new destiny," Sonic responded as they began to drive off.

"What a perfect meal to celebrate my victory over you in base of ball!" Knuckles cheered.

"What?" Tails questioned.

"I mean, you barely beat me," said Sonic.

"Yeah, I wouldn't really count that as a win," Y/n advised.

"Hah! You've never been beaten so hard!" the echidna yelled.

Y/n rolled their eyes and smiled at their new friends, their new family, as Sonic left and came back with a chest that held the emerald. The memento of the amazing adventure they had. And they were determined to never forget or lose what they gained.