Chapter 2

PARKER

I'm not too fond of this.

"It is a fresh start," Kai said, looking through my eyes. Kai, my wolf, was trying to convince me that leaving here would be a good thing.

I was about to say something to Kai, but my father called me.

"Parker," yelled my father from outside my room. "We need to leave now."

I couldn't help but look around my room one last time. We were moving to a new territory and a new home. My father, the alpha of the pack, wanted to expand the pack, which he did over time. Over the years, we gained more pack members, and our pack land was getting too small for everyone.

I didn't want to leave as this has always been my home. But I knew deep down that it was the best for the pack, even though I wouldn't say I liked the idea.

I sighed and turned to leave the room. I knew my father, mother, and brother were waiting for me. We were heading there first as we were the alpha family, and we were going before all the other pack members, mainly to make sure everything was ready for their arrival.

The other members of the pack were coming a few days after us. My father told us in a meeting that there was a human town on the outskirts of the land on the one side, and he was hoping to join them with us. But he needed to know if there were other shifters there. The town's mayor didn't know what we were, but something made my father want to tell him that we were an organization that wanted to help to expand the town, and we even added a few stores to help with the human town. The mayor offered the high school to the members, which my father accepted. So all twenty-five teenagers were being sent there, and I was one of them.

I was not too fond of school on the pack grounds, but going to a human school is going to hell. We are set to have another pack meeting when all members have arrived. There will be new ground rules for us all. As the alpha's son, I needed to show that we were one of the people, and not only that, it would prove to my father that I could take orders and follow through on them. I'm to take over from him as alpha when I turn eighteen.

I shook my head, realizing I hadn't moved from the doorway. I stepped out of my bedroom for the last time and headed down the corridor. I walked down the stairs and straight for the front door.

The pack house was already emptied, and everything was heading toward the new place we would call home soon. The building we got that would be our new packhouse was a hotel that had been abandoned for a long while. My father had workers there for the last few weeks to prepare it for everyone to move in.

As I stepped outside the front door, I noticed my father was waiting outside while my brother Max and mother were in the car. I could hear the music playing quietly.

My father was talking to his Beta, but both men stopped talking when his eyes landed on me.

"You all ready, Parker?" asked Beta Hunter with a smile.

I nodded. "Yeah," I said. "It's going to be weird, I mean, this is the only place I have called home, and now we have to make a new place our home instead."

Beta Hunter nodded and looked toward the pack house. "I know what you mean," he said. "We all lived here for a long time, but it is a change, and we are growing more as a pack. Levi is in the same frame of mind."

I nodded. Levi is my best friend; we have been friends since we were toddlers. Our parents are good friends. Hunter is my father's Beta, and I will have Levi as my Beta when I take over from my father. I'm only twelve, but I know I have at least four years before my father will send me to alpha training. I will be sent to a school full of alphas to learn how to be the best alpha I can be.