Chapter 15

EVERLY

My mind raced over everything Storm had said. The new kids from the abandoned hotel werewolves, just like me.

"Everly," Mum called, pulling me from my thoughts and making me look at her. She looked concerned. "You okay?" she asked. "You've been standing out here for ages. I have been calling you."

I didn't hear her. I was too far gone with Storm's words to be anywhere.

"I'm okay," I murmured, sensing eyes on me from behind. I looked over my shoulder only to see the blind to Kayla's house move. They were staring at me. Great, now she may think I'm a freak.

"She doesn't think that," Storm muttered, stepping back. "But you need to concentrate on Mum, who looks like her mind is about to explode."

My eyes darted to my mum, who was still staring at me. Her eyes were searching my face, but I cleared my throat. "I'm okay," I said again, trying to sound more believable. "I just had a run-in with Kylie again," I muttered, not even mentioning the new kids.

Mum's face hardened at the mention of Kylie. Due to being a wolf, I have had to make sure I don't use my strength. As much as Storm threatens Kylie and wants to rough her up slightly, I have had to rein her in. I didn't need Kylie to know my secret, even though people would call her crazy or a freak.

"That girl needs a muzzle," Mum muttered, making me look at her, arching my eyebrows. Storm laughed, rolling around my head. Only if Mum knew what I was would she see the funny side of that remark. Mum looks at me and frowns. "What?" she asked. "She does. Her mouth will get her in trouble one of these days, and I would love to have front-row seats to the event."

That would be the best show, Kylie getting into trouble. To all around her and us, she can never do anything wrong. I hope one day, it will bite her on the behind, and I get to see it.

Mum lets out a sigh. "Come on," she said, turning around and heading back into the house. "Food is out, and your brother has already had one serving; he will be on his second now."

Knowing what James was like regarding food, it surprised me that he wasn't fat. He could eat. I know I can, but that is mainly for Storm and me to have energy. Mum used to comment on it before, but she hasn't brought it up again ever since Dad told her not to.

I was slowly getting a complex about my weight when she would tell me that I should be built like a house with the way I was eating. Storm kept telling me there was nothing of me, but it has

played on my mind since that night.

Moving from where I stopped, I headed inside and walked through the house till I got to the kitchen. I sat down at the table where my brother finished his first bowl of soup. He looked at me and grinned. "Hey, dumbo," he said, handing Mum the bowl for another helping. "Have you told Mum about the new kids?"

I stared at him with a frown.

Mum walked over to the pan on the stove and looked at me. "The new kids," she asked. "No, she hasn't. What about them?"

I said nothing but stared at him with a slight frown.

Storm moved slightly, wondering what the hell he was playing at.

James leaned back on his chair and looked at me with a frown. "Well, they joined us at the lake," he said, his eyes never leaving mine. "They seem nice. There were four older ones and a younger one. Everly seemed to be babysitting the younger one while the others were having fun with Kylie and her goons."