Chapter 4

EVERLY

My chores were done within an hour. After completing them, I lay on my bed until I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," I called out.

I knew who it was; I could smell her scent as she opened the door.

My mum smiled. "You all done?" She asked.

I quickly sat and nodded. "Yeah," I said.

"Well, I'm taking Ada into town now," she said as she stood with her hands on her hips. "I think you should introduce yourself to Kayla. You never know she could be a good friend."

I stared at my mother; we can't be seriously having this conversation now.

My mother watched me but sighed after a few moments. "Everly," she said. "Please. What would Dad think?"

My heart ached at the mention of my Dad.

"Really mum, you going to mention Dad in this," I said as I got off the bed. "Dad won't be forcing me to make friends. He would let me decide who I would have as my friend."

My mother stared at me but didn't say anything.

My Dad was no longer with us; he was killed in a car accident three years ago. I was with him. I think the accident triggered my shift; as I crawled out of the car on my hands and knees to get to safety, the car blew up with my father inside when I turned around. After that, due to the pain of the car accident, I shifted into Storm. I never got over that night and sometimes have nightmares. They seem to come closer to the anniversary of his death. The accident was ruled an accident.

No one mentions my father around the house; it would typically send us all into tears, well mainly me.

But my mother using him as a go-to for me to make friends with Kayla is a low blow even for her.

I turned my head to look at my window and sighed.

"FINE," I said through clenched teeth. "I will talk to her and make friends with her. But I'm not doing this for you or Dad."

I got off the bed and turned to face her.

I could feel Storm close by, but as soon as she could sense my mother, she pulled back slightly.

"Everly," my mum said. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring your father into this. I wanted you to have at least one friend when you return to school."

I nodded.

I knew she was worried about me, but I guess James must have said something about the other kids and that I had no friends, or she wouldn't have brought this all up.

We both left my room and headed down the stairs. My mum found my brother and told him where we were both going.

As I got to the front door, I could feel Jame's eyes on me.

We might not get along much, but I knew he had my back.

I opened the door and walked down the driveway. I could hear my mother following me after she closed the door. We both walked over to the house; as I got closer, I noticed Ada and Kayla sitting on the porch.

They both looked up at us and smiled.

Ada got out of the chair she was sitting on and walked over to us. "Shall we leave?" She asked my mother, who was nodding. "Yeah sure; Everly will keep Kayla company till we get back."

I looked over to Kayla, who was looking at me. She smiled when she realized that I was staring at her.

Ada and my mother walked away and headed toward my mother's car. Once they drove off, I walked over to the chair Ada was sitting on and sat down.