Chapter 9

EVERLY

Over the next week, I spent it with Kayla. I showed her the town and where most people our age would hang out. I took her to the local park and even the lake, which is Storm and my favourite place to run to at night.

My heart raced.

I looked out the window to see if Kayla was coming. We were going to the lake one last time before school started tomorrow. I was nervous, knowing I was going to be back with all the others who tormented me last year.

Summer was the best session for us children here. Even though it is small, it is perfect for children with so much to do. But it was also the longest holiday from school we all have, eight long weeks.

And now we were going back to the hellhole.

"Stop overthinking about it," Storm muttered in my head. "This year will be different. I will help more."

I frowned.

"Storm," I said. "You know you can't show yourself, or people will—"

"I know," Storm grunts. "I can still help. We are still learning it all as we go along, remember?"

That part was true. We learn every day about what it is like to be a werewolf. I would love to know if there are more like me, but for now, I have to manage myself.

Letting out a sigh, my eyes go back to the window and see Ada stepping outside. I watched her look around until she looked up at me. She smiled and gave me a small wave.

Storm moves closer, but not enough to show she is there. We still can't tell what they are; their scents are still hidden, and all I can wonder is why.

I move away and look around my room. I had everything ready for the lake and even made a picnic for us to eat. I made more than any normal child could eat, but I also needed more. It has to do with being a werewolf.

"Everly," my mum called. "Kayla is here."

Moving toward my door, I walk out and head down the stairs. When we get to the bottom, I spot James sitting on the couch. He was watching a film, but his eyes met mine. "So, where are you going?" he asked, moving up slightly.

"The lake," I muttered, walking past him and headed to the kitchen. "So, is it just you and Kayla?" James asked, making me stop and look over my shoulder at him. Why was he interested in what I was doing?

"Yeah," I said, turning slightly to look at him. His eyes were on me. "Why are you being weird?"

James huffed and moved off the couch. "I'm not," he said. "Can I ask who my sister and her friend are with? You know there are some weirdos out there."

My mouth opens but closes when I hear voices in the kitchen. "You can't tell her," my mum whispered. "She has another year yet."

"She needs to know," another voice said, who I know instantly—Ada.

What the hell? Who are they on about?

"This has more to do with her," Ada said, but stopped.

"Kayla," Ada calls out. I listen more, only to hear footsteps come closer, and the door opens. Mum looks at me and smiles. "Kayla and Ada came around the back," she said, opening the door wider. Kayla and Ada were smiling at me.

"Kayla made cookies for us," Mum said, making me look at her. She smiled.

Storm moved closer. "They knew we were there," Storm whispered. "How the hell would they know that?"

I said nothing and placed a smile on my face. "Thanks," I said, looking back at Ada and Kayla.

"Chocolate chip," Kayla said with a smile. "Your favourite. I thought we should take them with us to the lake."

They were my favourite.

"Sure," I said, nodding toward the picnic basket. "I did our food last night."

"She was excited for today," my mum blurted out, making me look back at her. I scrunched up my nose. "Mum," I hissed, which only made her throw her hands up in surrender.

My eyes stayed on her, but I looked past her and spotted James. He was staring at me with a smile. He gave me a nod and walked up the stairs. "Is it me?" Storm muttered. "Or did he just kept us from overhearing more of their conversation earlier?"

"You think?" I muttered, looking back at everyone.

"Yes," she said. "It was weird how Ada cut the conversation short."

That was also true. Lately I have noticed her and mum huddled together when my mother offers to host them for the evening. I always try to listen in, but Ada and mum always stop and changes the subject to something else.

"Shall we go?" Kayla said, making me look back at her.

I gave a nod.

Kayla moved toward the picnic basket and placed the cookies inside. She lifted it up and walked toward the back door. "Everly, you will need to be back about three," Mum said, making me look over my shoulder at her. "I have to work and James is going out with his friends. Ada will be close by to watch over you."

I frowned.

"I don't need a babysitter, Mum," I said. "I'm twelve."

Mum looked at me and sighed. "Well, Ada wouldn't be here. She will stay over at her house, but will come over every so often to make sure you're okay."

I said nothing, but gave her a nod. There was no point in arguing with her.

Turning around, I went out the back, and Kayla followed me. I open the gate, and we head toward the shortest path to the lake. "You know, I could stay with you tonight," Kayla blurts out, making me look at her.

I smiled.

"I would like that," I said. "I hate it when mum treats me like a child. I'm twelve. I should be able to do more than just walk to the lake and back."

Kayla nodded, but a smile played on her lips. "She cares," she said, making me look back at her. "I wish for anything that my mum could do that to me. Grandma does, but it isn't the same." I could hear the sadness in her voice at the mere mention of her mum.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I didn't mean to sound—" But Kayla shook her head, cutting me off. "You don't have to apologize," she said. "I enjoy hearing what normal children like us get up to with their parents."

I said nothing and continued walking further into the forest until we came to the clearing by the lake. Stopping, I scanned around and noticed we were the only ones there. "No one's here," Kayla said, looking at me with a smile. "Perfect. I hate it when it is too busy."

"Same here," I said. Storm grunted, agreeing too.

"Shall we set up over there by the log?" she asked. "We can—"

Kayla stops abruptly when we hear voices and spot a few kids from school coming into view. My eyes scan over each of them but land on one in particular—Kylie.

Great, this is all I need.

"Let's go over the side," I muttered, looking away from them, but it was too late. Kylie spotted me. I watched her face change from a smile to a smirk. "Look who it is," she shouted, making everyone with her look in our direction. "It's the freak."

My stomach dropped, and my eyes darted to the floor.

Why me?