Confusion

Chapter 11

I walked in and not to my surprise my mom and he were standing in the entry way. Oh come on can I ever get a break? I let Bailey walk in ahead of me and I was glad that I did that. Mom and he bent down to give her a hug and I quietly slipped up to the stairway.

“Not so fast missy.” The beast growled.

“Babe can you take Bailey upstairs for a minute, I need to talk to the other one alone.” He said with a sneer. He and I had mutual respect. He didn’t bother learning my name, and I didn’t bother learning his. Mom looked at him, looked at me and nodded.

“Hand over your phone Callie.” My mom said before she left. I reluctantly handed it to her.She grabbed Bailey and headed to the playroom. After the door shut to the playroom he tore into me like a monkey on a cupcake.

“WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING? YOU WERE LATE AND YOU ARE GROUNDED? WHY ARE YOU SO IRRESPONSIBLE? CAN’T YOU DO ONE THING RIGHT?” Pure rage was in his eyes and for the first time I was afraid of him. Why does he think he could boss me around? He’s not even my father. Doesn’t he realize how much I’ve been through because of him? And talk about selfish.

“I’m sorry I was late. Bailey’s teacher needed to talk about some things she was concerned about. She’s worried about Bailey.” I tried to respond as calmly as I could. I was shaking on the inside but I was controlling my voice fairly well. Maybe I should go out for the drama club at school.

“What was this so called teacher worried about?” So called? Oh well at least he isn’t screaming at the top of his lungs anymore.

“She was worried about Bailey’s behavior. Bailey’s having issues behaving and concentrating, and something about having a new daddy? I’m not really sure what that last one is about, but I’m assuming it has something to do with you? Bailey’s teacher also thinks that all of these problems are stemming from not understanding about my father’s death and I think it might be partly of all the newly created tension in the house and the mess that her routine has become.” I want to say that he is at fault for her routine disruptions that I had worked so hard to get under control. I know my sister the best out of anyone and I know that if she isn’t on a schedule then she will not act normal. Mrs. Ginks was the one who suggested that my family start to work on a schedule with her. I told my mom about and she brushed off the comment, so I made a routine and made Bailey stick to it. I’ve worked so hard with her and then this guy comes in and ruins it all.

“Well I guess we will have to work on that with Bailey, if you are actually telling the truth.” He says rubbing his chin. I really don’t like this guy. He needs to remove himself from my family.

“Would you like a note when I go to pick her up tomorrow?” I ask sarcastically.

“Yes thank you that would be great.”

“Fine.”

“Oh and let me tell you one thing. Your mother and I are very much in love and we intend to get married as soon as it doesn’t look bad seeing her husband just died and all. We were thinking to give it about six months and then get married. And then we are going to send you to boarding school where you belong. Beside the bill for the school you will be out of our hair and we can be a real family.” He smiled when he saw the shocked look on my face. Wow, I hate this guy. He can’t get married to mom! That just wasn’t going to happen. I can’t believe this is happening. I want him to go away. I can hear his laughing as I feel tears trickle down my cheeks. I hate this. I don’t want to be here anymore. Why is this happening?

“Are we done now?” I asked quietly.

“You may go. Just remember the second that we get married you are out of here. Say goodbye here and hello boarding school.” He laughed and I ran up the stairs sobbing. I went to the play room to ask my mother for my phone back. I had to talk to Dalton.