Questions

Chapter 3

When mom got home dad and I went to our favorite little Mexican Cafe. I loved everything about this place, the food, the people, the music, and just the overall feel to this place. Everything was easy to enjoy.

Dad and I ate our chips and salsa in silence, absorbing the atmosphere, but also not wanting to have our inevitable conversation. I looked over to my dad to find him looking at me with a sad expression on his face.

"Dad why did all of this happen?" I finally asked.

"Why does anything happen Callie? I don't want this to happen any more than you do, but unfortunately I have no say in this current situation." He hung his head and I knew he was going through a lot of pain. After all this was his marriage that was ending after nineteen years. I hated this entire thing.

"But dad, did she give any reason as to why she did it? Why is she willing to break up our family like it's nothing? I don't get it!" I groaned in frustration.

"Because sweetheart, for the last three years I haven't been home enough. I may not have been the one to preform the deed, but I certainly didn't attempt to stop it. Maybe if I would have been around more she wouldn't have done this. Maybe-" my dad was interrupted by the waiter with our food. I took a bite waiting for my dad to continue.

"I asked my boss if I could be reassigned to a job that doesn't involve travel and he was reluctant to say yes. But after what I told him about my marriage problems he said yes. I came home to tell you guys only to find out that I'd been replaced by some other man I knew I was too late."

I was upset, angry, confused, mixed emotions coursing through my body. I just don't understand how so much could go so wrong in so little amount of time.

"Dad, why aren't you fighting this? I just don't understand."

"Callie I want to live with you and be the right kind of father that you deserve. If I could make things right I would." Okay so this line of questioning has just made us both upset. Dad and I ate the rest of the meal in silence contemplating over what to do and what to say.

"Dad even if you and mom get divorced, will Bailey and I still get to see you?" I asked one of the questions that was nagging in my head.

"Of course sweetheart. I'm not sure if we'll do the partial custody or full custody with weekends thing, but I do promise you this, I will be in your life more often. I've made too many mess ups to stop being in your life because of this. It will be okay I promise." Dad reached over and kissed my forehead. I willed my tears to go away. I can deal with those later.  

Dad paid and we went home.

"Now sweetie I know you must have a million more questions to ask and I promise to answer the ones that I can. But please do me a favor and be nice to your mom. This is stressful on her also."

"Wow dad that woman cheats on you and you are still defending her. I don't understand." I shook my head. None of this day made sense.

"I know, but one day when you fall deeply and passionately in love you're perception of things will change." Yeah, I don't think love and marriage is the right road for me, but I understand what he is trying to say.

"Okay, if you say so."