Surprise

Chapter 14

I took a deep breath and opened the door to see Dalton and Mason looking quite nervous. I didn't know that Mason was coming, but this could not be a good thing. They both looked guilty and ashamed and I wondered what they ha done.

"Come on in. You guys can relax and stop looking like you killed someone. Unless you did kill someone, then I need to turn you in to the police." I said after staring at them for a while. We all came in and settled in the living room.

"Do you guys want something to eat or drink?" I asked after we had been sitting in silence for a while. This was so awkward and I didn't know how to fix it.

"I'm good" they said at the same time and I laughed at them. They ducked their heads in embarrassment.

"So why are we here?" I finally asked after silence had fallen over the group again. I just wanted to know what was going on, and they weren't willing to give up information which frustrated me to no end.

"Well... Okay Callie I know that I've been your rock for the last couple days and that you like me. I want to start this conversation off saying that anytime you need me I will be there for you and that I never meant to lead you on." Well that was never a good way to start a conversation. What did he mean? I was now more confused than ever.

"What do you mean leading you on?" I said, voicing my thoughts.

"Well I think in your mind that you and I had a chance of becoming more than friends, but we don't. Don't get me wrong you're a great girl and I feel the need to protect you from the evils of the world, but we can never be more than friends." What he said burned deep into my heart and the only thing I could think of was that he didn't think I was good enough for him. I was hurt and from his expression I knew that he knew.

"May I ask why?" I said finally, trying to control my tears and emotions from seeping into my voice. I didn't do a very good job of it and we both knew it.

"Well...." He said looking to Mason and Mason seemed to encourage him to say what was on his mind. All of this was so confusing.

"You see the thing is I'm...." He mumbled the last part and u couldn't tell what he was saying.

"You're what?" I asked and he mumbled the answer again.

"Oh for crying out loud, he's gay." Mason said with an exasperated look toward Dalton. Wait what? Dalton's gay? How could that be? I see some of the gay guys at school and they are way more feminine than Dalton and they act different than straight guys. This whole thing seems really off.

"You're gay?" I asked and couldn't keep the confusion off my face.

"Yeah. I know I was surprised when he told me too." Mason said. I really wanted to know why he was here now.

"Um okay? So why are you here Mason?" I couldn't not ask the question.

"You see Callie, I'm gay too. I know this whole thing sounds really off, but Dalton and I like each other and well we thought that Dalton had been stringing you along and that wasn't fair to you." Mason said with a sympathetic look on his face. This whole thing just seemed like a really weird dream. I finally had something good going for me and he has to be gay. I mean why me? This is just so messed up.

"Just so messed up." I whispered over and over again as I fight back the tears. I look up to see them both staring at me in concern.

"Are you gonna be okay?" Dalton asked me. How do I respond to that. The answer was no I was not even remotely okay. This is such a huge setback. How could this be happening?

"Maybe" I said truthfully. I honestly didn't know if I was going to be okay. Ever.

"Well I guess we should go. We'll see ourselves out." Mason said standing. Dalton bent and kissed me softly on the head and I felt a rush of pleasure despite why he has just revealed. I looked at his eyes for a moment. Really looked and it felt like he was hiding something. I then heard him whisper.

"I'm sorry." He cupped my cheek with his large hand and then promptly left. I've never been so confused in my entire life.

I finally let the tears fall, Tears of confusion, tears of pain, tears of things that will never. And for the first time since my dad's funeral, o cried myself to sleep.