16 | bed side manner

SORGAN, OUTER-RIM

SORGAN, OUTER-RIM

She kept the skirt.

It's the first thing he notices when he wanders over to where she's sitting, it took him way too long to find where she's perched herself deep in the forest surrounding the village.

Head tilted upwards, picked leaves and flowers surrounding her, hands dirtied from plucking plants out of the ground. But not the ugly kind of dirty, the kind of childlike dirtiness, showing wonder and fascination.

Her hair is brought back by a leather hair tie, half of it resting in a small bun at the back of her head, the rest falling over her shoulders.

'What happened to the trousers?'

She flips the skirt up and on her legs are a pair of tight fitting pants, 'I hate tight clothing, but it's all she had, so I kept the skirt.'

He tries to hide his little groan of exhaustion as he settles beside her, helmet tilted towards her, 'You've been gone a while.'

'I had to clear my head.'

'Of what?'

She looks away, picking at a purple flower in her lap, letting the colour of the purple pollen stain her hands, it mixes in with the mud and when she wipes her palms down on her skirt it stains the skirt too.

'Believe it or not, this is the first time I've ever seen trees.'

He doesn't question the change of topic, deciding not to push and simply relax in the civil moment between them, a rare occurrence the past few days.

She looks up at him, an unnatural smile on her face, her eyes glistening as she looks back towards the forest around them, 'I've never been on a planet like this before, it's quite nice.'

'You've never seen trees before?'

'Not really? Only on holopads, in books.'

Her hands glide over the blades of grass, tickling between her fingers, he catches the sight of something silver up her sleeve but looks away, remembering how adamant she was on hiding her skin from him. He guesses maybe it's part of her religion like it is his.

'Where I'm from, it's so boring.'

'Where are you from?'

'Mustafar.' He raises a brow beneath his helmet, she doesn't seem like the kind of girl to be from Mustafar.

'I thought you were from Coruscant.'

"I guess I lived there the longest, but I was born in space. Then I was taken to Coruscant. I spent some of my childhood there, bouncing between there and my mother's home planet, but when I was seven I was taken- recruited- by the empire. I was rarely on planets after that, only when they were desperate. I escaped to the outer rim, it's where you can stay hidden the longest.'