8: The Bat Queen

Eda was thinking about how Luz was gonna at least fit into society. To a point where no one will pay attention to her. So, the only plausible thing to do is enroll her into Hillside Valley High School. At least there, she'll seem relatively normal. As long as she keeps her identity a secret. 

"Come on," Eda said in a soothing tone, "It's not going to be that bad. I'll prepare your for it!"

"I don't think I'll even be ready!" Luz shook sighed and shook her head, "I mean. What if I crack? What if my identity is revealed? Then I'll have more people coming for me!"

Eda kneeled next to Luz, "Hey! It's not all that bad. We all had to go through that hell hole. But, there, you'll seem at least normal. Plus, you'll learn a couple things that make you seem human. As long as you stay here," Eda nudged Luz a little.

"I don't know. I mean. I'm a big weirdo. I'm not gonna fit in," Luz put her hands to the sides of her head and rubbed her temples.

"Listen, kid, everyone here is going to try and find you so they can capture you. Now I know that there are possible dangers in your world which are leaking within ours, so, school is the best look for you. Make some friends, you know. Sure, you may have some breakdowns there but just get through it. Tell everyone you're not local. Stick to that and you'll be...a reasonable person to deal with."

Luz stayed silent. 

"This is just a head start. As long as your here on Earth around me, you'll be fine. I can't say much more of 'you need to blend in'. Just don't draw any attention to yourself. Alright. You go to school, no one will know who you are, and they won't mind. Now, all the enemies, you've got are the ones you already know." Eda said.

"Fine. But if anything goes wrong, let me quit, alright?"

Eda nodded, "Deal."

"And I'll learn more about the tech you humans made? Other than the cold food box and the TV?"

"It's called a fridge. And yes."

"Fine. But, like I said. I'll probably crack. I'm a big weirdo. Like I said."

"Well. If you staying here, just be you. You know? If you act weird, that's okay. A lot of people are weird. Besides. Us weirdos have to stick together. Am I right?" Eda chuckled. 

Luz smiled.

"Let's give your a background check before you get to school. Alright?"

Luz nodded, "I'm all ears."

"Right then. Number one. You came from Canada, a place up north of here. You lived mostly in the forest before you moved here. That's why you may not know a lot of technology stuff," Eda said.

Luz nodded again to acknowledge this. 

"Remember that. If anyone asks you where you came from or why you don't know a lot about this world-"

"Which I don't," Luz cut in.

"Then you should say that you came from Canada. And you moved from the forest," Eda reviewed.

"I understand," Luz said.

"Number two, do not change those clothes," Eda pointed to the purple and white shirt and the jacket, "Keep the beanie on too. You don't want people looking at your ears and creating attention."

Luz nodded. 

"Remember all of that, okay?"

"I will," Luz said as she brushed off dust from her pants.

"Get some rest, tomorrow, we'll have a plan," Eda said.

King jumped up from the couch onto the windowsill. Luz walked up to pet him. King hissed but quickly seemed unbothered as Luz pet him. He started to purr.