Fathers

“You really need to stop agreeing with Satoru’s crazy antics,” Getou scolds as Megumi rests their head in their hands. They’re insanely tired and can’t be bothered talking. They groan, intelligently, in reply. The twins, Nanako and Mimiko, laugh at their suffering.

“Did you learn something, Kiddo?” Satoru asks anyway and Suguru scowls at him. Satoru smiles and kisses him. Fushiguro nods and Tsumiki sits beside him, at the kitchen bench.

Their kitchen is an open concept. An island is in the middle of it, separating the dining table and the kitchen. The sink is on the island and behind it is the stoves. Sleek cabinets frame the walls, until where the living and dining area starts. It’s sleek and rich. Satoru thinks it’s too plain. Megumi wholeheartedly disagrees.

“That boys are hot,” Megumi jokes and Suguru gives a small smile. The Itadori kid they’d met that night. He has the brightest smile Megumi had ever seen and the softest honey eyes. His blonde hair looked so… fluffy. Their face flushes a light shade of pink again.

“Gay panic aside, Megs,” Satoru says, his tone serious and Megumi pulls their head out of their hands and tells Satoru everything they saw.

“Secretive,” Satoru says and Megumi repeats it, nodding.

“Wanna go to the sandwich shop together?” Yūji asks Nobara and she shakes her head. The two were studying at the library, after Yūji slept in till midday. He bets this will throw off his whole circadian rhythm.

“No, I have a date with Maki at the new ramen place,” she says and Yūji smiles. “Tell me how that goes,” he says and looks in his bag. He’s decided that if he has superpowers, may as well put them to good use.

He has a small red hoodie to go over his long-sleeved black turtleneck and a mask. It has holes where his eyes are and he wears sunnies to hide the fact his eyes show. Brown may be a common eye colour but if he were to pursue vigilantism, he’d need a disguise.

He walks into the sandwich shop and a few minutes later another person does. Yūji keeps glancing back at him. He’s got a buzzcut and a patchy beard. His eyes are blue and his clothes are all black.

Yūji asks for his sandwich to take away and rushes into the bathroom once he gets it. The man… his Spider-senses (he cringes) are tingling. The Spider sense gets an acute observation and Yūji climbs out the window with the suit on.

He left his stuff in the cleaning closet and rushed towards the entrance. The patchy beard guy now has a mask on and a friend. They both wield guns.

“You know, robbing people isn’t nice,” Yūji says and the robber chuckles. “What are you, kid? A vigilante? A… cosplayer, perhaps?” The robber asks and Yūji smiles. He expels the webs from his wrist and shoots it towards the gun. He takes hold of the gun and the other robber gasps.

“A vigilante is nice,” Yūji says, cocky, and the other dude starts firing at him. He does little cartwheels and sticks to the roof. He attacks from above. The man shoots again and there are screams. Yūji uses his webs to keep his hands and feet to the ground and does the same with his friend, still frozen from shock.

He looks up, the adrenaline wearing off. He sees his Dad, Haibara Yū, laying on the ground with a bullet wound in his chest. He clenches it and Yūji wants to scream. He pulls Haibara away and grabs his jacket from his bag and wraps it around his chest.

He looks around the alleyway and sees no one even remotely around. He pulls off the mask and Haibara smiles.

“Yūji…” he mutters and Yūji shakes his head. They hold hands and Yūji reassures him. He sobs again. They both do. Haibara is hiccupping for air his punctured lung can’t take. He coughs and blood flows out of his mouth. “I love you. Make good use of your power. With great power comes great responsibility.” His body falls limp and Yūji pulls his mask back on. “Dad… no!” He sobs and tries CPR. It won’t work. He picks up the body and swings back to the shop.