Recovery

Megumi wipes their hands on their blazer. The pole was covered with dust and Mahito’s blood spat a little back at him. They look at themselves and straighten. They need to find Yūji.

They keep the pole with them and walk down the corridors. They open the library doors and expect to be fired at.

Nothing happens. Megumi looks around trying to find Yūji.

“EDITH, place the mask back on,” Yūji commands and Satoru nods. He lowers his own mask and looks around the place. He hears footsteps going further from where they were, concealed by bookshelves, and goes towards them.

He sees a slim figure with a pole in hand and he tries to snatch the pole away. The figure goes to attack, and Satoru lifts his forearm to block.

Megumi’s eyes widen and they lower the pole. “Dad?” They ask and Satoru nods. They drop the pole and fall into his arms. “I’m glad none of the wires exploded on you,” they admit and Satoru laughs. The two walk back to where Yūji is stuck.

“Hey, Itadori,” Megumi says and Yūji laughs. EDITH lowers Yūji’s mask so Megumi could see the damage to Yūji’s face. Satoru cleaned up the scratch wounds but the bruises are still a nasty shade of purple-red. Megumi leans down and kisses Yūji’s tear stained cheeks and little claw marks on his face. Yūji just smiles sadly.

Megumi pulls at the Spider on Yūji’s chest, freeing him of his suit and apologising. “For what? You saved my life,” Yūji replies and Megumi’s heart aches. “You… I promised to protect you and you’re all bruised,” Megumi says with guilt building up in their body.

“You did protect me. The speakerphone idea was amazing.” Yūji smiles and leans against Megumi. “I’m feeling dizzy,” he confesses and Megumi holds him in their arms. “Sorry,” Yūji says and closes his eyes.

Yūji wakes in a clean bed with warm and clean clothes on. He looks over to the bed stands and sees flannel with dried blood on them. He looks down, seeing what clothes he had on, and sighs. They were his own, from the old Spidey-Suit. He keeps it on him at all times.

Megumi walks in with a hot bowl of soup and a small smile on their face. “Morning,” they say and Yūji smiles back. Megumi hands him the soup and a soup spoon. “Suguru, my other Dad, made it last night but you were unconscious,” Megumi explains and Yūji nods.

“Be sure to thank him for me,” Yūji smiles and another man laughs. “It’s my pleasure, Itadori-kun,” Geto says, leaning against the doorway. “Oh, Geto-sama! Please, call me Yūji,” he says as a formality and Geto nods. “I hope you enjoy your soup,” the elder talks to Megumi and Yūji starts to eat.

The food was delicious, despite it being a simple chicken soup, with an array of herbs and spices that added to the flavour. Megumi sits beside Yūji and eats some soup as well. When they both finish eating, Yūji gets up and offers to take Megumi’s bowl.

“Sit,” Megumi commands and Yūji does. “I’ll be back,” they say and walk away. Yūji reaches for his phone and sees a million notifications. Most are from Kanashii.

Shit! He’d completely forgotten about her last night and went to fight. He hadn’t considered her at all. What a dick move! She knows that too, wondering what the hell went on.

Yūji texts her some bullshit about the rubble. She calls him out on this.

Sachiko: What the fuck?

Sachiko: Why are you lying? Yūji, that’s lame.

Sachiko: I really like you, you know.

Yūji sighs and leans his head back. Playing her with lame excuses isn’t right and he knows that. She FaceTimes him.

“You suck,” Sachiko says as a greeting, and Yūji nods. “I wish I never said ‘yes’ to you,” she says, sourly, and oh if Yūji could tell her. “I’m sorry. What can I do to make it up to you?” Yūji asks sincerely and she laughs sourly.

“I don’t want to go on another date with you so you can leave me for some ‘friend’ of yours,” she spits and Yūji frowns. Her face softens. “When you kissed me… did you even like it?” Sachiko asks, face red and Yūji turns the same colour.

“You alright?” Megumi asks, holding another bowl of soup. Yūji smiles and Sachiko scoffs at the sound of Megumi’s voice. “Why can’t you leave my boyfriend alone?” She whines and Yūji glares at her.

“They’re my friend,” Yūji scowls and Kanashii sighs.

“Thanks for stealing my date, Fushiguro,” she spits and Megumi rolls their eyes. “Thanks for being severely homophobic,” Megumi spits back and Sachiko growls.

“Can you tell him to fuck himself?” Sachiko asks and Yūji looks around the room as a joke. “I’m the only person uses he/him here… why do you want me to fuck myself?” Sachiko scoffs and hangs up.

Yūji texts her to stay the fuck away from him.

“Sorry, I got aggressive over your pronouns,” Yūji laughs and Megumi smiles. “No, I appreciate it,” Megumi says and Yūji leans into Megumi. He gets a whiff of their soup and is astonished by the strong smell of ginger in their dish. 

“You alright?” They ask as Yūji leans back up, wide eyed. They look seriously concerned for the kid. “So much ginger!” Yūji teases and Megumi blushes. “It’s nice to know your favourite food,” Yūji adds and tries to think of recipes. He learnt a bunch from a foster home with a Elderly Man. Yūji was only returned to the Foster System when he died.

Megumi turns on the TV again and sees a broadcast of the news. It shows the images of last night and how fucked the school is. “Developments show the newest vigilante, Spider-Man, is involved with the defence of the school. Over to Jamie Johnson,” the news anchor woman says and Megumi marvels at Yūji’s work.

If Yūji could kiss them, he would.

“I’m sorry that your suit had you trapped,” Megumi says and Yūji breaks out of his daydream. Yūji laughs and Megumi frowns. “I’m just glad I’m alive,” Yūji smiles and Megumi nods, sadly. Yūji presses his hands to Megumi’s face and sighs. “I’m okay. I’m here.”

“So… Spider-Man, huh?” Nobara asks and she looks between Yūji and Megumi. She sits at the end of the Guest Bed, resting against the bed frame. Yūji nods. “You’re really putting these powers to use,” she mutters and Megumi frowns.

“You were bitten as well?” They ask.

“Duh,” Nobara replies, swiftly, “and what’s your excuse for knowing?”

“I created the current suit,” Megumi says and Yūji notices the tone of disappointment in his voice. “They literally made this virtual assistant for me to command anything in the suit,” Yūji pats Megumi’s shoulder and he still looks disappointed. Nobara notices this as well.

“I knew that the suit was not made by Yūji. You’re clever, Megumi,” she smiles and Megumi looks dumbfounded.

“Never praise me again,” they laugh and so does Nobara. It’s out of her character to be like that so Yūji joins them in their laughing agenda. “What’s it like… to be a public hero?” Nobara asks and Yūji grins.

“Tiring! I hate seeing my face all over the news, no matter how beautiful it is,” Yūji teases and Megumi covers a laugh with their hand and Nobara scoffs.

“Nah, but for real… It's nice knowing people see me as this amazing thing. I just turned 18, a month ago, and people regard me as something spectacular.” Yūji sighs and looks at Megumi. They have their head tilted in curiosity and a small smile.

“I’m just scared for Kenjaku’s next attack. There is no way attacking a High School did anything.”

“It was probably a test run into what the fuck would happen if they used those guns,” Nobara offers.

“Most likely,” Megumi agrees and continues, “we all should be on our guard no matter what. Especially you, Yūji.”

Yūji nods and salutes before Suguru tells Nobara her Mom is here.