Balance

“I would like to start by saying I’m sorry for your loss,” Fushiguro says, formally, and Yūji smiles, sadly. He blinks away the stray tears that rise to his eyes. “Thanks,” he mutters and Fushiguro grabs his hand.

Their eyes raise to Yūji’s. “I’m truly sorry,” they say sincerely and Yūji nods. They pull their hand away from Yūji. He shivers.

“I was talking to Satoru the other day,” Fushiguro shoves their hands into their pockets. “He wants to talk to you. About the ‘Spider-Man’ incident,” their eyes meet Yūji’s and they see a slight widening to them. Yūji’s eyes are naturally wide, hiding the emotions he’s felt in the past.

“Oh… uh…” Yūji stutters and scratches the back of his neck. Megumi has observed that this is a nervous habit of his. They find it cute. “Yeah, sure. When?” He asks, excited. Megumi hadn’t expected him to accept so quickly. “Oh… I’ll call him now, see when he’s next available,” they say and Yūji laughs.

The phone rings a few times before he picks up. “My favourite son! How is the date?” Satoru asks, cheerful, and Megumi blushes.

“Not-” they sigh, “why would I bother to argue? Itadori wants to meet with you. When are you free?” They ask and Gojo lets out a long sigh. “Eh, I’m bored so why not now?” He asks and they repeat (some of) the message to Yūji. He agrees.

“Woah!” Yūji admires the entranceway as Fushiguro takes his coat and shoes to a storage room. “This place is huge!” Yūji says and Fushiguro nods.

They guide him to the living room and he sees Gojo Satoru in the flesh. He laughs with Fushiguro’s siblings (and Dad?). The setting is peaceful. “Ahem,” Fushiguro clears his throat and all of them look up to Yūji, frozen in place.

He blinks. Great first impression, Yūji.

“This is Itadori,” Fushiguro says and Yūji bows in greeting. The little girls jump and run to Yūji’s legs. They squeeze them. Yūji laughs. A woman turns the corner and hands Satoru some tea. Her and Fushiguro look so similar. Siblings?

“Oh, Megumi. Your boyfriend is so cute!” Satoru teases and Fushiguro Megumi scowls at him. Megumi? The name sounds so familiar to Yūji but he can’t place it. The tall man turns to Yūji.

“I’m Gojo Satoru, Megumi’s dad!” He proudly introduces himself. “I need to talk to you about Spiders,” he says calmly and stares Yūji in the eyes.

Yūji’s never been a good liar.

His eyes search for an escape that isn’t blocked by someone. They all are so they all had planned this. Megumi interlinks their hands again and Yūji’s heart pounds. It’s like a promise of goodwill and assurance. Yūji nods.

Megumi guides him to the couch and their sister gives him a cup of tea. Yūji thanks her. She smiles brightly.

“Can you recall May the 20th?” Gojo asks and Yūji shakes his head. He can’t, he promised Nobara that he wouldn’t-

“Is this legal without a lawyer?” He places a nasty tone on his words and clenches his thighs. His nails dig into his ripped jeans. “This isn’t a legal case, Yūji,” Gojo mentions, “and I want to help the one and only Spider-Man.”

Yūji’s phone buzzes and he sees the caller ID. “Dad <3” is the ID and he asks for a second. He picks it up and walks over to the dining table, where Megumi and Satoru can discuss in peace.

“Hey, Dad.” He answers and hears a sigh.

“Yūji, are you okay? Who are you with?” His voice is filled with worry.