Technology

Yūji lays on his bed, smiling away at the phone. He asked her out! He scrolls through Instagram and sees a post of Maki and Nobara hanging out. Nobara loves bragging about her girlfriend. Maki finds it adorable.

Beneath that, Kanashii has a photo of herself in a flowy pink dress with a pattern of strawberries on them. The cut is in a v-shape and the sleeves are poofy. Sachiko is laughing in the photo. She looks so pretty.

Yūji comments under the post with “pretty <3”. Nobara calls him not long after doing so. “Hi?” He smiles at the girl over FaceTime and she smirks at him. “Heard you asked out Kanashii. Good for you,” she says and he laughs. “Yeah, I really like her.”

“You’re gonna make me sick,” Nobara teases and Yūji laughs. Maybe this could be his revenge for her gushing over Maki, complaining to him. “She always looks so pretty, and she’s so nice,” he says, in a sappy tone, and Nobara fake gags.

“Ew,” she whines and Yūji continues on until Nobara shouts at him to stop. “I need to go dress shopping with her,” she notes and Yūji nods. “Please spare her the pain of bag carrying,” Yūji says and Nobara laughs wholeheartedly. “So you’re volunteering? Great!”

“Isn’t it bad to see your date in a dress before-?” He laughs.

“Maybe I can ask Inumaki?” Megumi asks as Maki tries on different suits. “Or not go, that would be better,” is their counterpoint. Maki just sighs and turns around in the suit. “You need to let loose,” she implies, “because you’re not just Gojo’s assistant.”

She goes back to the changing room and they sigh. “Inumaki is going with Yūta, remember?” She reminds the kid and they lean back, with a groan. “Yep. I forgot.”

“Being Gojo’s assistant is easier. The most drama surrounding him is Spider-Man and Suguru not making him sweets,” Megumi sighs and Maki comes out in a different suit. She spins and nods. Megumi slips out Gojo’s credit card. She passes them the suit that she wore before.

“Put it on,” she commands and they nod. It was a grey button up suit with a blue tie and a black blazer. The pants were exactly like other pairs they owned. They fit it on and come out of the little changing room and look in the mirror. They fiddled with the sleeves a little but… they looked nice.

“Being Gojo’s assistant isn’t the only thing you are or have to be, Megs,” Maki reminds them in a soft voice. “There are going to be better boys than Itadori,” her tone is still soft, as if she were comforting them, but they know it as her teasing. “Ha ha,” they say, sarcastically, and she smiles. “Itadori is a good guy, that’s what I like about him. Boys around here mainly call me the f-slur because your girlfriend painted my nails,” Megumi sighs and Maki nods. He grabs his casual clothes again and gets changed.

Gojo’s credit card takes the toll for their suits. Not that Satoru, himself, would notice nor care.

Yūji swings to Gojo’s place.

Satoru had texted him earlier (when he was out fighting bad guys with guns (again)) saying he had some tech he wanted Yūji to try out. 

He landed on the front porch, smoothly, and dusted himself off. He knocked and a tired Megumi answered the door. “Oh, Itadori,” their face lifted in a small smile when they saw Spider-Man. Next he saw Satoru and his husband. He smiled at them all.

“I’ll get the tech ready,” Satoru chirped and Megumi let him in. Yūji would always stand until Suguru invited him to sit. Today, he just sat. Megumi got comfortable beside him. “Megumi, what did you get today?” Suguru asks as he gives Yūji a glass of water. He nodded in thanks. “Oh… a suit with Maki,” they say and the two continue a conversation.

Satoru comes back with a small little patch with a spider on it. Yūji stands and Satoru presses it against his chest. Tiles wrap around his body until a suit is fitted. He can see and breathe clearly in the mask.

Satoru grabs a gun and Megumi shouts. He shoots Yūji’s shoulder and nothing is left on the suit. The impact is felt, obviously, but nothing is left. Yūji laughs maniacally and Megumi lets out a harsh sigh. Suguru is smiling. “I’m so glad that it works,” Yūji laughs and tries to collect his breath again. Satoru smiles. “I wouldn’t do that if it didn’t.”

Yūji and Satoru train in the new suit and Megumi watches, causing simulated enemies and scenarios to form. If one of them died, the simulation would stop.

“You’re enjoying this,” Suguru notes as Megumi puts them through a collapsing building. With people inside. “It’s cool,” they shrug and Suguru sits beside them. They relax a little in their seat as the simulation carries out.

“Have you ever…” Megumi starts then pauses. Is this the right time to ask? “Have you ever fallen for a straight guy?” Megumi asks and looks at their father. He nods slowly and watches the simulation. Satoru shouts at Yūji to do stuff and he follows.

“It hurts… but you end up finding others,” Suguru says and Megumi tilts their head to the side. “At first it was painful but then I found Satoru and… he was there for me. Always,” Suguru says and Megumi clenches their jeans.

“But- what if I don’t want to let go?” They ask and Suguru laughs. “Lemme guess, the straight guy we’re talking about is Yūji?” Suguru asks and Megumi nods. “Yūji’s a good kid. Letting go is life,” Suguru adds, “but I know it hurts. Letting go will always hurt.”

“I’ve got her!” Yūji shouts to Satoru and he flies to the kid, clinging to the walls. He flies down with the fake girl, making sure to be careful and Yūji climbs down the walls.

Megumi closes their eyes. Letting go, they think. Tomorrow, I promise.

Yūji exits, worn out, and Satoru leaves the two kids alone. Yūji smiles at Megumi and they smile back. “Oh,” they remember, “EDITH transfer ownership from me to Itadori Yūji.” The bot speaks and asks for confirmation. “Yes,” they say and Yūji marvels.

“Woah! Hi, EDITH!” Yūji chirps, like an excited dog, and EDITH greets him back. “It’s a stupid little feature I added. You can ask for stuff like a phone and it will reply to you,” Megumi mentions and Yūji nods. “EDITH, can you give me directions to the Statue of Liberty from my current location?” He tries and Megumi hears it all going well. They thank the robot Gods for this. “You’re so clever,” Yūji says and finally takes off the mask. His blonde hair flows easily in the simulated wind and his honey eyes show the sincerity of his comment. Megumi blushes.

Yūji goes to get changed out of the suit and Megumi clings to him. It’s only a week until the Prom, but they want to take every chance they get. He bids Megumi goodbye and they lean against the door as he walks away.

Megumi remembers the feel of his embrace, tight yet soft. They’re glad that they bonded well with him before he falls even harder for the girl. A silly thought of Megumi’s would be that maybe he could fall for them if they held tight enough.