Chapter 9 - Wonder

««Kain»»
It had been a week since the red haired woman had arrived in his home country. Kain watched her from a distance. He found her to be quite strange: from her accent to her skin tone, from her attitude to her odd taste in music, from her violin playing to her singing. She was definitely not a McLeod. She was a curious figure to be among the Monroes' household. She spent most of her time finding her bearings and remembering who she was. A lot of the time she was with Ivan in his study, reading books and learning Gaelic. Kain found this to be strange; what woman in the centre of Scotland did not know Gaelic?

He also noticed something else about her, something within her iridescent blue eyes. Kain could not place it, but there was something he couldn't quite understand about the far-off look she seldom carried. Almost like she was dreaming with her eyes open. Even then, there was something deeper to it. A longing, a sorrowful desperation to find something. Or someone.

Now he stood outside her door, his hand hesitating to knock. But before he could speak or say a word, the door opened and there she was, her fire colored hair shining from the sunlight that shone through her window.

"How did ye'—"

"I heard you walking down the hallway," she said in reply, before he could even finish his inquiry. This angered him, but he doused the flame before it could grow too out of control. He watched her carefully as she left the door and returned to the window. It was a beautiful summer day, but she kept all of her windows closed. The heat of her room was stifling, yet she wasn't even showing any signs of perspiration. He watched as she sat down on the window seat, her eyes looking down at the world below. The skirt of the long dress she wore—the skirt the color of his family's plaid, the torso made with thin white fabric, the sleeves loose and securing at her wrists, and the collar slipping off her small shoulders—fell off the bench as she balanced her feet on the wood. Even now, though, there was the far off look in her eyes, like she was deep in thought or longing for something no one could give her.

If Kain was not the Laird of the Monroe clan and overly proud, he would admit she was young, beautiful, and a mystery that he could not quite figure out.

"It's unusual that you come here," she said as she turned back to him, her gaze no longer distant. She adjusted her hair so it hung over her shoulder. "Is there something you want of me?"

No, Kain thought.

"Aye," he said aloud, clearing his throat. "Come with me, lass." Scolding himself, the Laird strode out of her room. He could hear her getting up from the window and sliding her feet into the shoes that were made for her, and hurrying behind him as he made his way down the corridor. He paid her no mind as they passed doors and windows. The dark hallways were some of the coolest part of the castle, especially on hot late summer days such as these.

"Kain, where are we going?" She asked breathlessly, once she caught up to him.

Kain closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. This woman asked too many questions. Kain sighed lightly and looked at her from the corner of his eye. She was looking at him with both curiosity and confusion, her deep ocean colored hues brightening for a moment as they passed a window. "Ye' shall see in a few moments," he said, turning down the hall and walking down the stairs. He heard her sigh, but she continued to follow him anyway. He could sense her silent frustration and he couldn't help but sigh and give in.

"Ye're getting out the castle for today. Ye' spend far too much indoors, so my father thought ye' should see the grounds."

Kain smiled inwardly as he saw her face brighten and a smile come onto her lips. His face remained impassive, for the most part. His eyes softened slightly, no longer carrying their "heart-of-stone" nature.