Chapter 6 - Lost

««Christine»»

Alan gave me strict instructions to return to my room and be awake just before dawn. I walked through the fortress castle like a zombie, unable to feel any emotion. I didn't want to feel anything. It was confusing, not knowing what to feel in a time when I should be feeling so much.

I walked to my room and pressed a hand on the door. I pushed it open and walked inside. It was so quiet. My feet echoed on the cold stone floors as I walked to my bed. I stood there in silence for a moment before crawling up into bed. I held my head in my hands as I curled up under the sheets. It didn't take long for me to break down and cry.

I wasn't sure how long I had been crying. It could have been seconds, minutes, hours. But my pain-filled cries silenced and I heard the quiet mew of my charcoal tabby as she padded across my bed, pawing at my hair. I smiled weakly at the cat and raised a hand before running it across her soft fur, earning a delighted purr. I pulled myself up, sat down against the headboard, and pulled the cat into my lap and held her close. I held Pepper out in front of me and looked at her brilliant blue eyes. "Pep," I whispered softly. "Take care of momma, please..."

Pepper blinked, almost as though it was in understanding. I sighed and placed back down on the bed. Pepper walked off and jumped nimbly down from my bed before returning to her designated place on the windowsill. I watched in dismay as the tabby immediately went back to sleep.

I stood and walked around the room. I ran my hand over the bookshelves and dressers. I could bring my favorite novel with me, or our family photo album. Or maybe my sketch pad, or my first ribbon from setting a record in track back in freshman year. But I knew from the beginning what I was going to bring. I walked over to the chair by my bed where my violin case lay, the light from the moon peeking through the curtains and accenting the dents and rifts in the surface. I picked up the case with utmost care and laid it on my bed. I silently undid the clasps and pulled the case open, and peered at the sleek mahogany violin inside. I had barely played since I arrived here, mostly due to sustaining injuries to my arms from Alan. I ghosted my fingers across the surface, my fingertips occasionally feeling the small juts of the engraved intricate designs.

Father made this for me when I was only seven.

Mother sent it to get the intricate designs engraved in it when I was fourteen.

This is my prized possession. I would take it with me. There was no way I was going to leave it behind, not when Alan could destroy everything of mine the moment I was gone. I tucked the violin back in its case and snapped the locks shut.

As I looked up I saw the pre-dawn sky glowing on the horizon. I stood. Sleep had once again eluded me as it had for the last week and a half. I went to the door and was about to leave when it swung open, only to reveal Alan on the other side. He was standing with a straight back and a parcel under his arm.

"Ah, Christine. I see ye' chose your violin. Typical."

I said noting, just narrowed my eyes at him in pure hate and disgust.

He looked back with the same cold look I had grown accustomed to. He tossed the parcel on the floor at my feet. "Change, and be downstairs in two minutes." And then he left without another word.

I walked downstairs barefoot, five minutes after Alan had instructed. I was told that I couldn't bring anything from the modern world with me: no sneakers, slippers, sweatshirts, anything. I figured this. Everyone knew that in changing the past you could change the future. At this point, though, I could have cared less. I wasn't going to be coming back, so it wasn't my concern. I could change the future by going back and never know what would happen.