Chapter 13 - Exonerated

I had stood in the midst of Kain's exit, not sure what to make of it. I knew he was angry, anyone would be, but he didn't lash out. If it were any other day he would have threatened my life or my freedom, but instead he gave me back what I thought I had lost. The mystery around his dark aura and oppressive air had thickened and I had no idea who he was anymore. I had no idea who I was anymore. Once again, I lashed out and jumped to conclusions too fast and almost lost my tongue. How ironic. Here I was, unable to speak two days ago, and all of a sudden I could yell at a person and accuse them of something that I wasn't even sure what happened. Honestly, I'm starting to question how much sanity I actually have left.

But now I stood over my violin as it sat on my bed, seeming good as new. Without lifting it, I inspected closer. The neck had snapped off and the bottom had cracked, but it seemed like there was no damage at all. There was evidence that it had fallen: the wood was dented a bit on the edges, but otherwise it seemed unscathed. I could sense that Emma and Ivan were standing in the doorway, watching me, but they didn't speak either. I picked up the violin and turned it over carefully in my hands. On the back, I could see where the neck had snapped. The two parts had been sealed together with a bonding agent: tree sap, maybe? It seemed so natural. The same was with the crack on the bottom. Both injuries had healed with the help of nature's glue.

I picked up the bow that had been resting on the bed beside it, completely intact, and dragged it on the strings. I was shocked to see that it had been tuned. The sound that came from the instrument was so pure, so clean. I played a few chords and even the intro to Swag by Lindsey Stirling. It sounded brand new.

Confused, I sank down on my bed. I placed the instrument in my lap and stared at the designs on the sides. I just couldn't piece this together. Kain never left me alone. He seemed convinced that I was a threat. How could someone who seemed to hate me help me in such an amazing way that I had no idea how to thank him? How could I thank him after what he's done for me?

"Lass, ye' should rest. . ."

I looked up at the sound of Ivan's voice. His blue eyes softened as a smile came onto her lips. "We are all relieved that ye' are alright, but ye' have been fretting ever since this morning. Rest. 'Tis getting late and the storm should not let up for a while. Have some tea, sleep, and all will be clear in the morn."

At his assurance, I nodded stiffly. Things would most certainly not be okay in the morning. They might even be worse. I opened my mouth as he turned to leave, but not having anything to say, I closed it again and nodded. He gave me one more flash of his straight white teeth before leaving down the hallway. Emma then came in and closed the door behind her, carrying a pail of water and a kettle, my clean clothing, new cloth and fabric, and a few other things in the bag that hung from her waist.

"The lad is right, Christine," She said as she walked over to the hearth. "Ye' really should rest."

I watched as she set the clothes and new fabric down on the chair by the fireplace. Em kindled the fire in the hearth back to life, and suddenly I was cold. I set my violin down on the bedside table and walked over to her, picking up the clothing. I gingerly placed them in the trunk at the foot of my bed, and placed the new fabric atop it. Soon after I crouched down by the fire, holding my hands out to be warmed. My eyes watched the flames, the warmth of them licking my face and drying my eyes a bit.

"Why did he help?" I asked in a whisper, obviously catching Emma off guard. "Em, I don't get it. For the past couple weeks, Kain has seemed determined to catch me as an enemy. To make sure I don't step out of line and hurt your clan, your kin. Then all of a sudden... This happens. I just don't get it..." I pulled my knees to my chest as I sat down and buried my face in my knees.