First Impressions

Hey  guys, so I decided to just skip writing about school events in detail. Instead I'll just summarize because I mean common, who likes school? Also, it gives me more of an opportunity to get on with the main idea of the story. Also, thank you guys so much for 10 reads! Let's keep it going :)

The next day was Monday and school was more boring than listening to political debates on the news. But for once in my life, I actually wanted school to take it's time. The fact that I had to show my skills off on front of a rich sports manager who only works with professionals is just a bit nerve-raking. I kept thinking of all the moves I wanted to do, nut wasn't sure if I should do MMA or boxing. My mind races with indecisiveness and worry. Yet, I'm excited to show someone who actually cares about this sport.

I was at the gym changing into my work out clothes. I had on my Under Armor shirt and jogging pants with white strips down the legs. They stopped just past my knees and fit a little too snug. I made a mental note to buy better fitting pants. I put my hair in a French braid and taped and wrapped my hands. I walk out and meet Levi by the punching bags. He didn't change out of his blue jeans, grey t-shirt and Converse, so I guess he won't be a part of this. "Oh, hey. I want to introduce you to your sparring partner." he says. He taps a guy with fire red hair wearing a reflective shit and white shorts. "Ronnie, this is Shamus. Shamus is also a big boxing and MMA fan. He's also my cousin." he says.

"Please to meet you Ronnie." he says sticking his hand out and smiles at me. I shake his hand and return the smile.

"Nice to meet you too." We spend the next few minutes going over what moves I would be doing. I guess this meant that I was going to be doing MMA. Shamus helps me warm up with a few punches and kicks while Levi calls the guy to let him know we're ready. 

"Alright he's on his way. You ready Ronnie?" he asks looking at me through the cage in the octagon. I could see the worry in his eyes. I wonder if was because he didn't want me to embarrass him or if he cared. I nod, not bothering to take out my mouth guard. "Alright, I should probably tell you this now. We'll be in a private room, so no one else shows off so he can focus on you." Shamus and I nod in agreement and head to a private room in the back of the gym. The walls and floor were concrete and the were several chairs around the singular octagon in the room. It smelled like leather and sweat. Suddenly, my nerves got even worse.  Suddenly, Levi returns with a man in a black V-neck t-shirt and worn out jeans. He holds his car keys and phone in one hand and a notepad in the other. He oddly shared the same eyes and jaw line as Levi.

"Ronnie, this is David. He's worked with many professional athletes from football to golf." He says. He reaches out his hand to me and we shake. He doesn't shake hands with Shamus though.

"I usually work with professionals, but from what my son has said about your fighting, I'm willing to give you a shot." he says. And that's when it clicked. David is Levi's father. And Shamus's uncle, that's why they didn't shake. I gulp down the nervousness and smile.

"Thank you so much. I promise you won't be disappointed." I say.

"We'll see." he says. He gestures to the octagon and takes a seat in one of the black metal chairs. I enter with Shamus behind me and shake my limbs loose. Shamus makes sure that all the padding is in place and nods at me when he's ready. I put my mouth guard in and square up. I move a little closer to Shamus and he goes to throw a left. I punch his left hand, and he immediately throws up a right. I duck and go in to jab his stomach. He backs up and claps the pads up, indicating to kick. I do as I'm supposed to and execute a perfect high kick. I look over to David and notice him writing something on the notepad. I glimpse at Levi and he's biting his thumb behind his dad. I see Shamus take off the pads, so this means we're going to floor work now.