CHAPTER 18

Song: Make Tonight - Emanuel

Sage bolstered up on Michelle's shoulder and sat on her lap, her kisses were all taking over her strength and thoughts, like she was drawing something out of Michelle with soft little squeezes on her body. She brought her fingers up to her hair, unable to open her eyes. Michelle could taste their shared breath, feel the thud of their combined heartbeat as they fumbled to take off one another's clothes. They molded together and fit against one another with stunning perfection, both their naked upper bodies and lips. Michelle had never felt as she did at that moment, exploring the taste of her roommate, feeling the strength of her arms around her, inhaling her sweet scents. She felt as though she'd found a moment of forever. Like this was how they should've always been. Nevertheless, that was unusual, rare, new, that wasn't Sage, was it?

"Hey... Hold on a sec." Michelle faced her, before being with the eyes stuck on her breasts for a while. "Why are you still crying?" Sage was still with this sad expression, she cleaned her face and tried to kiss Michelle again, but she refused it. "Why are you crying? Did something happen?"

She only nodded. The tears kept falling, uncontrollably. "It's nothing!" Michelle hugged her again, this time their bodies naked, feeling its warmness and texture. "Just talk to me, okay? Don't keep it to yourself." Sage asked.

And at that moment, Michelle realized that whatever just happened was caused by the feeling of pity or guilt Sage was having and not because she wanted to make out. She let out a sigh and asked for them to sleep. "We will talk about it tomorrow, I'm a little bit tired."

Sage didn't insist anymore, she lay next to Michelle and tried to sleep. After a long time of staring at her with her eyes closed, she said, "Please, tidy your room tomorrow!"

"Yes, mommy."

The next morning neither the talking nor tidying were performed, Sage forced Michelle to eat like an actual mom, they had spent the day together, without exchanging a single word about the previous night's events, cooking, watching Tv, reading, spending time in the living room, just appreciating the loud silence, doing what some call 'nothing'. That's how the whole week went, Sage barely left to hang out with Cole, and Michelle didn't watch anime with Aelin either but they did discuss the episodes they saw.

Next week, Michelle woke up at 7 AM, tired as it's been happening for the whole summer, wet from the sweats that for some reason had become often at night, she baked a coffee and chocolate cake, the only one she could perfectly cook, tide the living room and decided to wait for Sage, watching anime, cleaning the blood that suddenly started coming out from her nose, leaving little red dots on the floor - something that started happening with some frequency -, drinking water, maybe believing water would heal it, then went out to smoke.

It had been three hours but Sage wasn't up yet, she walked to her room, the girl was deeply sleeping, with the blanket until her neck, her hair scruffy in a bun. Michelle took silent steps, holding her breath, and slid up under the sheets next to the other body. "Happy Birthday!" She whispered before kissing her forehead. There she fell asleep, smiling, in love with her best friend, with her cold hand on Sage's cheek.

When she woke up, the girl was gone, but she stayed there for a while, admiring that space with her smell and touch everywhere. In the kitchen, seated on one of the chairs next to the table with her legs crossed, she found Sage talking on the phone, eating the cake that was made for her. The birthday person blinked at Michelle, then raised the dessert plate a little bit, her roommate smiled and drove to the coffee machine, forgetting she already had the drink that morning or pretending she forgot. A headache was hunting her like she was hit by a heavy object.

"Yes, I was talking with Skye about it!" Sage said. "Yes, yes..." She got up and started walking toward Michelle. "Bye, dad." She laid the phone on the island and hugged Michelle from the back, her side face barely on her scapula, thanked her, feeling her body starting to shake. "Are you nervous?" She let her arms fall.