The clashing of two unstoppable forces

"Kiyo~ Kiyo~" The lilac haired girl called happily, toddling over to the six year old boy. He stared at he then looked away, continuing to play. "Kiyo~ I have a question for you!" She smiled radiantly. He stopped playing and looked at her. She took this as a sign that he was listening, and began to ask the question. "There was once two brothers. In accordance to the village tradition, they had to fight to the death in order to decide the inheritance. However, they loved each other dearly and didn't want to fight. So on the day itself, they raised their swords and battled. But neither could bear to kill the other. Until, the older took the younger's sword, and used it to pierce his own heart. The younger was horrified, but when he heard his brother's final words, he was a peace. Who would you rather be in this situation? What do you think his older brother said?"

"That's two questions." The boy replied curtly. She pouted. "One question, two questions... what does it matter? Just answer them!" He let out a sigh and nodded slightly. "Those are simple questions anyway. The older brother must have said something like 'live on for me', or 'I was happy' or 'I love you'. That tends to reassure people. She nodded in agreement, not even slightly put off by his comment.

"The second is an even simpler question. I would of course choose to be the younger brother. If I did, I would still be alive, and have the inheritance." The girl laughed, a melodious sound in that cold empty space. "Haha, I thought you would say that. I would choose to be the older brother. I would rather die with no regrets, than to live in regret everyday." She smiled as she looked up at the brown haired boy. "One day... we might encounter a situation such as that one. When that time comes... I want to be sure of our roles. Okay?"

He nodded, and looked away.

Your prediction was quite accurate, Shintaro Remi.

The only inaccuracy was...

That it happened twice.

Kiyotaka POV

Looking up at the board, I can tell I will get second place. I have one more opponent until my final match, against Keiko. I can tell that this will end in her victory, because in a sense, she is more mentally capable than me. She knows me like the back of her hand, but at the same time, she does not know me at all. Our relationship is a contradictory one. Well, the time for the final battle is coming.

The clock doth tick.

Time skip

I see that my opponent is early, studying the board before her with great scrutiny. As if predicting my every move before I even stepped in. Keiko raises her head as I take a seat, nodding subtly to let me know we may begin. She begins placing her pieces. "You know, Kiyotaka, you are still weak." Those are the first words she says? Clear, concise, to the point. But there's still more. "How so?" I ask, placing another piece in turn.

"You are still wishing for the impossible. You are wishing upon a star that has not even fell from the sky yet. Even if it is temporary, as long as I am here, you can never truly experience freedom." She explains coldly.

"That is not an inaccurate statement. However, it is not accurate either. I would not say it is a fact, or an opinion. I would say that it is an inference from our lives here so far." I clarify, not wanting to fight a losing battle. Should I refute her point, it would end in futile struggle. Thus, I will manipulate this conversation into my hand.

"That is not incorrect. But first, let me ask. What is freedom to you?" This question strikes me as odd. She should know this by now, after all, it Apia's her who instilled this curiosity within me. "To be able to do what I want, when I want. To eat what I want, to enjoy myself. That is what freedom is to me. The ability to decide my own course of actions."

"Then, what is perfection to you?" Yet another question. I find such questions tedious, but I do know the purpose of her asking them. "To be the best at everything, so no one can oppose you. To win. To have endless victory. To discard defects."

"What a thing to say, student from the class of defects." She scoffs, but I can tell it is an act. She is a husk after all. Such a being cannot do such an action unless forced. "You are not wrong. So what do you think is your defect?" A straight up question. Most would feel offended, but I couldn't care less about acting in front of her.

"I hold back. I don't use my full capabilities. I act like I know nothing when I know everything." She nods. "But, what else?" What else? I can't believe she wants me to admit such a thing. "I am... bad at acting." She sighs, but nods again. "Correct..." why does she seem to dislike my answer? I really don't understand her sometimes.

"Then, do you know why you are not perfect?" She asks, toppling my piece. "Isn't this the same question?" I reply, slightly annoyed at her persistence.

"No. Defects may be a part of it, but it's not the only reason. So tell me. Why is the being known at Kiyotaka Ayanokoji imperfect?" She tries to pretend to be mad, but I can tell she isn't really. I sigh, scratching my nape. This may cost my dignity...

"Because I am mentally inferior to you. Because no matter how much I dislike it..." She topples my king. "... you have won this round." She stands up, but pauses before she opens the door to leave. "I'll send it in five minutes." She then swiftly closes the door with a satisfying click.

I nod silently to myself. Good. Now, to send this under a fake name...

She did a great job at holding back this time. And as expected, she understood the message. Looks like I owe her another favor.

Sigh... I wonder just when will this war of unstoppable forces end. No matter.

I must win, at all costs.