CHAPTER 27

John's POV

"Have a good night Mr. Smith" Justin say. I nod at him as he grab his bag and start heading out. I finish getting ready and say bye to the others as I walk out. I walk through the precinct to the garage. I get in my car and start to get ready to drive out. I get a text from James saying he's coming over.

When I get home, I pull into the driveway seeing James and Oliver's car in the driveway. I park and start heading inside.

I decided to get Oliver a car for his sixteenth birthday, because it makes my life easier and less expensive than him having to uber or him staying at home playing video games all day. I only got him the car because I setup strict rules. He must pay for the gas, and he can't stay out past eleven. I walk to the house and open the door.

As soon as I walk in, Oscar (The puppy) starts barking and running to me. I pick him up and walk to the living room where I hear arguing coming from.

"What is going on here?" I ask seeing them on the couch with game control in their hands and DEATHLOOP on the TV.

"Yo, what's up man?" James say.

"Hey dad" Oliver say. They both hasn't even look at me. Their eyes are so fixated on the screen.

"Did you guys eat yet?" I ask.

"Nah, I'm starving" James say.

"Oli?"

"Had some McDonald earlier" Oliver say. I walk to the kitchen. We had Chinese yesterday and I'm sure there's some left.

"Chinese?" I ask

"Uncle James ate it" Oliver say.

"You snitch—"

"Pizza it is then" I say. I order uber eats and just sit on the other side of the sofa with Oscar on my lap and just watch them play their game.  Ten minutes in and as I look at them going back and forth at each other it reminds me of how Oliver and Nick use to play video games together.

I grab my phone trying to entertain myself. I start scrolling through Instagram. The more I scroll the more ridiculous my feed seems.

"Dad, can you watch him, so he doesn't play without me" Oliver say before walking away.

"So, how you been?" James ask. I keep my eyes on my phone.

"I'm fine, why?" I ask.

"Oh nothing, you look a little skinny that's all" He say. I look at him and he's looking at me with this weird look on his face.

"What's that look for?"

"Nothing?"

"Seriously, what do you want?" I ask. Ever since we were little, he would always look at me with a pitiful look on his face whenever he's up to something.

"Nothing, can't I worry about my big bro" He say.

"Yeah, whatever"

"You and Oliver here in this house by yourselves, you know that can cause some—"

"You can't move in"

"Nah, I'm doing fine right now...so lean on me man"

"Lean on you for what?" I say. Is he on something? Did he get in trouble or something?

"You haven't really talked about the whole divorce" He say. I get up and start walking to the kitchen.

"There's nothing to talk about" I say. He follows behind me.

"I know you're not really big on emotion, but it's me bro" he say.

"I'm fine man"

"No, you're not... Oliver says you've been drinking more lately" I look at him. I open the fridge and pour myself a cup of water. I haven't been drinking that much. A glass after work isn't bad. "And you've become mean and yell all the time"

"I wouldn't—"

"I know mom and dad's divorce really hurt you" He say.

"Can we not"

"No, we need too before you snap at someone from work or worst at Oliver and make me hurt you"

"I would never do—"

"Do you remember sophomore year when you punch that kid at school because dad yelled at you for sneaking out"

"We were kids" I say.

"Yea, but your anger problem is still very much current... I was happy when you met Nick because he kept that under control—" I grunt at the mention of his name. "But now that you guys are not together it's back"

"Can we not do this—besides, I'm not a kid man" I say.

"Stop acting like it than" He say.

"I'm not acting like one"

"Yeah, very mature. If you won't talk to me then talk to a therapist"

"I don't need to talk to anyone"

"Yes, you do, because you're not dealing with it"

"Dad, pizza is here" Oliver say coming from the walk in.

"Enough, let's not talk about this in front of him" I say walking to the front door. I grab the pizzas and walk back to the living room placing the two boxes on the table. I look over and James walks in with some plates and a Pepsi in his hands.