CHAPTER 20

Nick's POV

"Hey dad" Anna says. I continue typing.

"Hey, what's up" I say. I could hear noise in the background.

"What do you want for your birthday?" She asks. Wow, not even a happy birthday first.

"You don't have to get me anything" I say.

"I know, but can you just say something so I can buy it" She says.

"Where did you get money?" I ask.

"Grandma may or may not have Venmo me some" She says.

Seriously? Ever since, I decided to take this job and move back to Miami my mom been spoiling her. When I say spoil, I mean shopping spree, gifts and all. It's annoying really.  I'm trying to teach her how to control her impulses, but my mom just giving her whatever she wants is making it hard.

"Of course, she did"

"So, what do you want?"

"Nothing"

"Fine, but don't be mad when you don't get anything from me"

How thoughtful of her. She's just liked her mother.

I legally adopted Anna about 8 years ago. She's my sister's daughter, but my sister passes away when she was just two years old. My parents raised her for a few years while I was away to school. After I entered law school, she wanted to live with me. I've always love her since she was born and when my sister pass, she told me to look after so i wanted it to be a permanent thing. My parents were a little worried that I would have problems studying and raising her at first. It was hard at first, but I got the hang of it.

I didn't plan on officially adopting her, but for legal reasons and her education and etc. I legally adopted her. I thought it would be hard because I had to ask her biological father for permission and to sign her rights over to me. He made a big fuss in the beginning about how he won't do that unless I paid him. Like who does shit like that.

Luckily, my case against him was stronger. He was never in her life and he just kept going in and out of jail for theft, drugs and robbery. I was able to provide proof that I could provide for her and I was the best fit for her. The judge ruled in my favor.

In the beginning, she would call me uncle Nick but as time went by, she would call me dad which surprised me.

"I won't" I reply. We chatted for a little more about whether or not she's in school and how it's been going.

It's already October. We moved during the summer so it would be easier for her to start fresh with school.