Chapter 21

NICK'S POV

I finish work for the day and plan on heading home as usual. I say bye to the others and tell Brendon to head home early. He tends to stay back and get extra things done which I appreciate but still.

I walk to the parking garage and get in my car. I sat there for a few seconds looking at the time. 6:20pm. I sigh.

I start driving out of the garage. My foot force the breaks as I turn a curve. This semi tall guy was crossing with this blonde girl next to him. He's in this grey suit and she's in a black dress with a grey jacket and heels. They look cute together.

I wave my hand with a smile at them apologizing. The lady didn't even bother to take a second look at me. The guy smile at me. I smile back, but he kept staring so I look away. I continue looking down waiting a few seconds letting them pass. I proceed to driving.

I got home around 7:10ish. I park and walk to the front porch.

My childhood home; A home which my parents decided to tear down and build a new one as soon as I finished college and moved away for law school.  It doesn't even look like it did back then. Full on two story with glass doors, gates and gardens. Looks like those types of house you see on magazines and shit.

As soon as I unlock the door, Leo (My parents' new puppy) starts barking running toward me and start circling my feet.

"Nick? Is that you?" My mom shouts. I walk to the kitchen. When I walk in everyone except my dad was sitting on the counter with my mom cooking.

"Hey sweetie" My mom says. I kiss her on her cheeks and Anna give me a hug. My aunt Marie and her husband.

"Hey guys"

"Happy birthday" They say. I smile and thank them.

We chatted for a few minutes and everything. Anna went upstairs asking to call her down when dinner is ready.

I asked her about school, she said it was whatever and left.

We continue chatting, well they mostly chatted about their friends and family. My dad and uncle barbecuing while my aunt is helping my mom. I decided to catch u on a few more files going over everything and searching for houses/apartments for us to live in.

"Dad, can you help me with this thing" Anna says walking in.

"What's that?" I ask.

"Mr. Meyers is having us write an essay about what we want to do in the future"

"Okay, what can I help with?"

"Well, I don't really know how to start it"

"Do you know what you want to do when you get older?" I ask,

"No, not really"

"Well, think about it for the night and when you have an idea than you can start" I say. She thanked me before walking out.  I went back to my work. A few minutes passed by and my phone ring. I was texting one of my colleagues who I'm working on a case with earlier. I automatically answer my phone.

"Hello" I answer. I didn't hear anything on the opposite line. "Hello" I repeat.

"Hey" My stomach drop. My nerves kicked in.

"Hello" I say again, but it came out in a timid voice than I wanted it to.

I haven't heard his voice for over six months now. It felt strange hearing it now.

"How was your day?" He asks. My parents were so loud downstairs, so I got up and close the door.

"Good" I clear my throat. "It was good"

"That's good" He say. There was this moment of awkward silence. I didn't really know what to say.

"How was yours?" I ask. I had no hard feelings toward him at all. The divorce is still new, and he was really mad at me when we went to the office to finalize and sign the papers. He refused to sign it, he kept saying that he doesn't want a divorce and that I just needed time to calm. We couldn't finalize anything that time, because he just walked out of the room. It took about three months for me to get him to sign it. And it wasn't about splitting half or who gets what. We signed our prenups before we got married. I didn't want anything from him. I just wanted us to leave on a good note and move on with our lives.

"It was fine"

"Cool" My voice went up. Another awkward silence. "Is there something wrong?"

"Nope" He says. I'm going to need more than one work. Calling me out of the blue and not explaining why. Who does that?

"John" I say.

"Happy Birthday" He says and hung up the phone.

Well, that was rude.