11 - Case Dismissed

Now

Andy stops after he reiterates what went on after they got home on that day of the trial. He looks up at me and I nod with understanding. "And was that the first time that your wife expressed her doubts of Jacob's innocence?"

"She'd had doubts, but hadn't voiced them to me...that was the first and only time".

"And what happened after that?" I ask.

Andy shifts and thinks. "I, er...I remember i took the couch that night - it had been a heavy conversation and she was upset..."

"Did she express any resentment to Jacob? Any anger that he'd not disclosed the story to Joanna Klein?"

"We were both in shock, we both were unaware of the evidence that you produced until you did..." He sounds a little bitter now.

I sigh. "This isn't about me doing my job Andy, this is about determine whether your wife intended to harm herself and Jacob on the day of their 'accident' if that's what we're going to call it".

Ruthless I know, but I am not prepared to sit back and watch this woman get away with what clearly was no accident. Not judging by all the evidence that Duffy handed over to me.

"It was an accident". Andy says through gritted teeth as he becomes a little angry with me.

I slap the papers down onto the desk I'm perched on and now look at him. "Only the jury can determine that from what you give us, which I'm assuming is the truth?"

"What do you take me for? Of course it is, I know better than to lie under oath".

I want to come back with, so why are you lying about saying that Laurie didn't intend this to happen? But I don't. Instead I keep my cool and take a sip of water. "Let's go back to the day that Leonard Patz was found dead and left his confession shall we?"

"Be my guest". He mumbles.

"So take me through it? From the moment you woke up..."

Because if he's anything like me, he remembers every single moment of it.

**

Then

The phone vibrates across the nightstand and in a sleepy haze I palm for it, lifting my head and squinting to see who's calling at this time.

Mom.

"Hey...everything alright?" I ask still half asleep and now heave myself up, blinking to try and stop my eyes from stinging.

"Savannah, I'm sorry to call you this early, but there's been a new development in the Rifkin trial"

Immediately I'm awake. "Mom? What is it?"

"Leonard Patz... he was found dead this morning - hung himself and left a letter confessing to Ben Rifkin's murder. The judge is expected to dismiss the case so I need you here asap before we're summoned to court again this morning".

Leonard Patz?

I vaguely remember him being questioned as a possible suspect, but there was nothing to say that he committed the murder, nor was there any evidence that the cops found to suggest it.

But his confession?

Jacob Barber is innocent. Just as I'd secretly hoped.

"Savannah? You still there?"

"Yeah I'm...does Andy know?" are the first words from out of my mouth. Mom replies that he's been informed as has Joanna. Their case is practically won. "And what of the Rifkins?"