10 - Lovers to Enemies?

"Got even more information as to how Jacob Barber could be just as messed up". Neal slams a file in front of  me one morning while we're at the police station. "Looks like Andy's failed to share this little piece of family history".

I look at the record.

William Barber.

As I read more into it I wince inside. He murdered a girl and was put away years ago when Andy was a kid.

"Well...fuck..." I mutter.

"Story is breaking tomorrow. Not so squeaky clean now is he". Neal looks pleased that he's got some dirt on Andy but my heart is pained.

"This has nothing to do with the case whatsoever, we're not using it, not with the trial just days away". I tell him. "Andy wasn't even involved".

"No but it goes to show murderers run in the family".

I shove the file back into his hands. "The judge will not allow us to use it, there are no grounds. It's relevance is invalid, so you can stop thinking of that right now". I snap, wondering how the hell Andy is going to feel when the news of his father is plastered all over the news. Even worse if the jury decide that his son is guilty. "Are we all done here? Because I'd really like to get home depending on whether you can fit your head through the door".

"We've got all we need, just a matter of waiting for the trial to start".

"Right well I'm leaving". I say and collect my things. Heading out and then stopping as I see Andy, Joanna and Duffy talking.

Now Andy turns and looks at me, eyes then going to Neal, who stops beside me, and immediately he's hostile.

"C'mon Sav...time we left". Neal says, still having his stare off with Andy.

I feel his hand on my shoulder, as though he's showing rival that he's got me in some sense now. I slowly remove his hand. "Neal..." I begin but he now decides he wants to drive the knife in further.

"Been meaning to ask, how's your father?"

Andy's brow creases and he slowly begins to walk forward towards us. "What you say?"

"Neal...don't". I say through gritted teeth and then look at Joanna who mouths "what's he talking about?"

Neal is getting his teeth sunk in right now. "I asked about your father, how's he doing?" The hostility between these two is rising and suddenly I feel that all the air has been sucked from the room. "I knew criminal law was a passion of yours, but I had no idea it was the family business".

And there it is...

Before I can even stop them, Andy has Neal up against the wall, and I drop my bag, trying to break them up, Duffy coming to help. "Andy, Andy don't". I come between them down as I see his face, angered by what Neal has found out. "He's not worth it". My hands are on his arms as though I had any hope of actually restraining him.

He looks at me and then snatches them away, beginning to walk back into the office where he was with Duffy and Joanna.

I look back at Neal who brushes himself off and begins to pick up his papers that had dropped to the floor. "You deserved that". I say.

But he's still not done with Andy. "Don't lecture me about concealing things". And now I see Andy turn and start back towards him. Joanna telling him to calm down. "I will say this, it explains a lot Andy, about you and your son!"

"That's enough Neal!" I explode, "stop this now before I tell Mom to have you removed from the damn case altogether!"

Neal stares hard at me but says nothing, now leaving.