13 - Tell Me No Lies

Then

"How are you holding up?" I ask Andy as I sit across from him in the living room that still has boxes of things that he and Laurie had been packing away for their move.
He hasn't unpacked them. He doesn't even know what to do with them. Instead they just sit where they were put, holding books, games, and anything else that was held as important.

"I'm not". He simply says. "Laurie's stable and awake, but Jake? He's stable for now, but he could go downhill at any time".

"Has she said anything? About what happened?" I ask.

Andy shakes his head. "No, she's still heavily medicated, so even when she is awake she's barely there as it is".

I sit there for a moment and then just decide to come out with it, as insensitive as it may be. I just need to know what he's thinking. "They're saying that the car was functioning right, breaks were fine and worked properly..."

His head whips up and now he's a little annoyed. "What are you implying Savannah?"

"Andy...did she crash that car on purpose?"

"What! Are you even hearing yourself right now! Of course she didn't!" The anger flares up. "She wouldn't do that".

I look at him. "But what if she did? Have you considered she may not be the person you thought you knew? Andy...this report is looking more likely that this wasn't an accident".

"My wife would never hurt our son. Never!" His voice is raised at me, "I thought you of all people would understand that!"

"Clearly you don't know me at all. But just know that the report will be given to you soon, and you may not like what you'll read".

"Let me decide what to believe and what not to - right now all I care about is getting Jake outta his coma and back home" He puts his hands on his head and walks in circles, the frustration building. "Geez I can't wait to get us outta this fucking town". I hear him mutter and rise from the chair.

"I should leave".

"That's probably for the best". He fires back.

I head to the front door and open it, Andy following close behind. "I thought that with your job? You'd at least be able to see through your own wife's actions. I wish her better..." Actually I don't, "and Jacob also - hopefully he'll wake up and be well enough to tell us what we all know anyway".

And that is the last time I see him until the trial that will hopefully see Jacob Barber and Andy, get the justice that they deserve.

Now

Andy relays everything part of what's happened over the last ten months bit by bit to me.

He remembers every minute.

Every second.

And it kills me because I know that he's not telling the full truth.

He's hid all the moments where he fucked me against his office desk, the meetings at my apartment, a hotel room, or even in his car we had without anyone's knowledge. Looking back. It was a wonder just how he managed to get away with it.

My eyes flicker across to my mom once or twice as she listens alongside the grand jury. They meet with mine and she continues to nod her encouragement to me.

I'm glad in some respects that she made me do this and not Neal. He'd have only ripped his former mentor and colleague to shit.

All the while he continues to defend the woman who he is technically here representing, because she is unfit to herself.