Chapter Seven

Caroline Raymond

Like promised, Dr McCoy eliminated her from the project of her life. Something that could bring her profession to the next level. Everything was relying on the project and now she was out of it with no way back. Khione was slowly winning over her.

Einri wasn't too mad. She explained what happened and he believed her, saying she wasn't the one to ditch people like that. It was true, she would never intentionally stand him up. At least she still had him. Caroline promised to make up for their date and he agreed.

Her friends were more worried than mad. Tilly scolded her for disappearing like that. They were sad that she lost her part in the project and suggested to go out so she could put her mind out of it but Caroline declined. She didn't feel like anything at the moment but added that they could go out the next time.

So now she was sitting in her room, watering her flowers and staring up at the night sky. She was scared of going to sleep because Khione might take over her. But if she didn't sleep then she wouldn't be able to rest because she still had to go to work tomorrow.

Not even her flowers could lift her mood now. Bart would have to find a new way to cheer her up.

Bart. He promised to help her but could he? He was the last person whome Caroline thought she'd tell about Khione. They were friends when her parents moved back in Central City. When she was little, they used to live in Washington. He was fun and Caroline enjoyed his company. However, like it happened with Nora, she drifted away from team Flash and their friendship became lost.

But she still managed to be the epicenter of robberies and meta-human attacks. She was like magnet. Wherever the attacks were, she was there. Which was truly a collection of accidents and coincidences. And since Impulse always saved her, Godspeed targeted her as someone special to him. He kidnapped her and held her hostage for a day. 

Caroline shook her head to forget the thoughts of the horrible time she had while being kidnapped. She finished watering the flowers and layed down on her bed, hugging her pillow. She tried to think about things that could make her smile so Khione wouldn't come out at night. She just hoped she was doing well.

* * *

The days went by and Caroline couldn't be more bored. She had only one incident with Khione and that was her eyes turning icy blue when Tilly asked too much questions about her mood. She got so irritated that she almost froze the table.

Aside from that, Bart texted her everyday and checked on her. Since she was out of the project, she had more free so she hung out at S.T.A.R. Labs.

It was nice to spend time with the team. They were fun and Caroline didn't have to worry about turning into Khione as they made her laugh all the time. Chester and Cisco's dinamic was too hilarious for her to ignore. Her dad told her jokes and Nora and Bart's bickering made her face stomach hurt from all the laughing.

Bart counted that as a success. He said being around them had a positive effect on her. And he was right. Caroline felt much better. Although she didn't have a chance to make up for her date with Einri. He was busy with his own work and couldn't seem to find time for her. Of course it hurt, but Caroline could do nothing about it.

Her mother was also glad that she spent time in the lab. With that, she could supervise on her which meant constantly running tests and checking if she ate well. It was tiring, but Caroline had been through it before.

“Caroline, have you seen my ring?” Nora asked her as she walked around the room, searching for the object. Caroline shook her head in negative. Nora often seemed to lose her ring where her superhero suit was. “You probably left it in the bathroom like before.” She told Nora who immediately sped off. Caroline chuckled and went back to texting Bexley on her phone.

She was sitting in the cortex with Iris, Allegra and Cisco. Her parents were out of town for her dad's buisness, Barry and Bart were at work and Cheser was in his and Cisco's workshop. Two woman were talking while Cisco watched 'Star Wars'. Caroline's only entertainment was the funny pictures Bexley sent her. She and Agnetta were working with Einri at the moment. Bex even managed to sent a pic of Einri. Caroline smiled but then sadness filled her heart which she quickly forgot because Nora came back.

“You were right, it was in the bathroom.” Nora smiled sheepishly. Caroline shook her head at her silliness. “Why aren't you at work?” She asked Nora. The said girl sat down on a chair next to her. “I published a new article this morning and there hasn't really been much news for me to write about. How about you?”

“Well, getting banished from the big project kinda gave me more free time.” She gave her a small smile. West-Allen girl squeezed her hand for reassurance. “You know what we should do?” She asked with amusement. Caroline raised her brows. “What?”

“We should have a sleepover!” She said with a grin. Care gave her a confused look. “A sleepover? Last I checked, we were adults.”

“Oh, come on, Caroline! It will be fun! You can forget about your work. Besides, aren't your parents our of town? Mom said they won't be back till tomorrow, you can stay with us!” Nora persisted.

“I don't know, Nora.” She bit her lip. Nora gave her puppy eyes. “You don't have work tomorrow and neither do I. Please, it'll be fun!”

Caroline thought for a moment, then she nodded. Purple speedster cheered and jumped to hug her friend. “I'll tell mom!” She said and walked up to her mother and Allegra. Caroline sighed and texted her mom that she was staying with the West-Allens tonight. Caitlin said that it was okay and that they would be back tomorrow morning. Just when Caroline was about to leave to grab her stuff at home, she remembered Khione and froze at the spot. What if her hair turned white? Or her eyes changed color? Or her hands became icy cold? How would she explain everything to Nora?

Her mind jinxed as she remembered how her mother sustained her powers for the first time. If she could find the old power-dampening necklace, she can be sure that Khione won't take over.

With that thought, Caroline drove to her apartment where she searched for hours for the old necklace. And she finally found it. She placed it around her neck and the the snowflake necklace glowed. Caroline sighed with relief when she felt there was no trace of Khione in her mind. Awake or not, she could always feel her presence.

“Welcome, Caroline!” Aunt Iris invited her in once she arrived at the West-Allen apartment. She smiled and greeted her aunt again. Caroline placed her gift on the table as aunt Iris hung her jacket. “Come, Nora and Bart are in their rooms.” She said and motioned Caroline to walk upstairs. The girl thanked her and did as she was told.

“You came!” Nora smiled when her friend walked in the room. “Of course, I said I would come.” Caroline replied and sat down on the nearby chair. “That's good, because I have lots of old movies chosen for us! Oh, and mom's making popcorn.”

Caroline smiled as she and Nora formed a conversation. Not too long after, Bart barged in the room. He gave Caroline a curious look as he had no idea she was coming. “He and dad came late from the work, we didn't have chance to tell them.” Nora explained to her.

“I'll be in my room if you need me.” Bart said while mouthing 'Are you okay?' to Caroline. The girl nodded and showed him a thumb up. Bart nodded too and finally left the room.