Chapter 2

"How long was that?" Lain lowly gruffed.

It took Shu a moment to discern the subject of the vague inquiry, then he replied diligently.

"Around one and a half minutes."

"Then don't count this as the second time and stop me when it reaches two," Lain commanded as he lunged toward Shu and reclaimed his parted lips with fervour.

Shu simply accepted, concealing his shock as his eyes fully closed whilst containing all the noises and successfully suppressed the natural flushing of his pale skin.

Lain ravaged Shu's mouth again, swirling his tongue around the latter's and revelling in the satisfaction it drew within him. After a short moment, Lain felt Shu's hand gently tap his shoulder twice in warning. Lain quickly dispatched his touch and stumbled two steps backward.

"Lain," Shu breathed to gather Lain's undivided attention before advising; "Do not constantly replay your prior mistakes in your mind. Identify what you did wrong, and what you did right, then keep that clear in your mind. Forget the humiliation and frustration of the mistake. Then you will be able to fix your faults and gradually improve."
Lain listened intently, supplying no verbal assurance he heard Shu, simply walking over to the stadium and entering his offensive launching stance.

It was times like these, when the silence which surrounded Lain wasn't so ominous, so deadly, so malicious, instead more controlled, guided, almost serene, Shu wished that the darkness in his flare would subside, miraculously vanish. It gave him hope that Lain could be saved. That Shu wasn't being too arrogant. That this wasn't a mistake.

Shu's eyes flamed with a replenished resolve. He would salvage Lain, no matter the cost.