Chapter 8

It was peculiar.

It had been two days since the unexpected kiss, yet Shu carried on as if nothing happened as though the past few days were just ordinary. In a way, Lain felt relieved, he wasn't too sure why he did that so if Shu inquired Lain himself would be dumbfounded. Yet, stil it was like a constant, nagging thought which caused Lain to remain on guard in case Shu decided to suddenly talk about it. Also, the way Shu was so nonchalant regarding the matter didn't sit right with Lain; Was he deluding himself it didn't happen or willing himself to forget? But then Lain brushed that thought off; why should he care?

"Lain, are you feeling okay?" Shu worried as he walked over to the steel bench Lain sat upon.

Lain raised his head, "why wouldn't I be?"

"Well for one your break concluded five minutes ago and you never exceed your time," Shu reasoned whilst sitting himself beside his protege. "Now, what's bothering you?"

Lain contemplated just spilling his problems to Shu but the probable outcome wasn't one he'd like to live.

"Nothing," he shrugged instead. "I'm tired."

"If that was true, you would never openly admit it." Shu stated, his expression calculating, then he sighed. "Is this about the kiss?"

When met with absolute silence, Shu knew he had guessed it.

"Look, just forget about it. I'm sure it'll be best for the both of us." Shu instructed calmly.

"It's not that easy!" Lain exclaimed, "It keeps popping up, I can't control it."

"I know, trust me. I'm just as lost on that as you are, but I decided that dwelling on it would give me no benefits, so you should also decide that for yourself." Shu advised, eyes scrutinising Lain.

"But why? Why did I do that?" Lain questioned, unrelenting, his eyes steeled in concentration.

"Do you need a moment to think or are you good?" Shu asked instead as he himself was unaware of the answer.

"I don't need that, I need answers." Lain stated grouchily.

"Then search within yourself; you're the only one who can answer that," Shu says, the answer unsatisfying Lain.

"Why don't you care? How can you act so naturally when you blushed like a highschool girl?" Lain queried.

"I did no such thing," Shu indignantly denied, or perhaps lied would better suit his words.

"Whatever," Lain grumbled, succumbing petulantly.

"Then, let's go back to training," Shu suggested to which Lain simply stood and moved over to their equipment.

The training passed seamlessly. Two hours flew at the rate of one. And before Shu knew it, the time on his silver wrist watch indicated the afternoon, after considering they had only consumed breakfast all day, Shu decided to call the time.

"Nice Lain, you did very well today," Shu praised whilst concluding the lesson. "Now, let's go grab lunch."

Lain nodded to concur.