Chapter 3

The halls were silent as Hongjoong walked down them, Yunho following beside him quietly. It was early in the morning, a few nights since his father had returned and he was called into yet another spontaneous meeting.

"I want you in there with me this time Yunho," Hongjoong said firmly, his tone leaving no room for disagreement. Not that Yunho would disagree though, as his job is to protect Hongjoong and he needs to keep updated with what issues and dangers there are.

"Of course your Highness," Yunho said with a nod. Hongjoong paused outside the door to the meeting room. He took a deep breath and schooled his face, standing up straight, making sure his posture was strong and powerful. Yunho frowned slightly as he watched how much effort Hongjoong needed to put in to please his father. He hated it, but there was nothing he could do about it, so he held his tongue. Hongjoong grabbed the door handle and swung the door open quickly, the two of them walking in. Hongjoong's eyes immediately found his father's as the man was sitting at the head of the table. He quickly ran over a checklist in his head, making sure he wasn't doing anything that he could pull him up for. There were four other people in the room. Maddox, San and Mingi; three of their best Knights and Eden; the Captain of their Knights and one of Fantasia's best strategists. Just from the first look into the room, it doesn't look like there's any good news. Hongjoong walked in quickly and sat down on the seat beside his father, Yunho sitting across from Hongjoong. Yunho glanced over at Mingi and the other's face looked grim. Something has happened and this something doesn't seem good.

"I'm glad you decided to finally show up Hongjoong, you took your time," the King said with a frown of displeasure on his face. Yunho continued to look over at Hongjoong, clenching his fist closed to keep himself from reacting to the harsh words from the King. Mingi glanced over at the King, biting his tongue to keep himself from saying anything. Everyone knows how harsh the King is with his sons. One can never be good enough, no matter how hard he tries, and the other one may as well not even exist.

"Forgive me father. I'm here now, what is it we need to discuss," Hongjoong asked, keeping his face neutral.

"Lee Sungjae has declared war against Valkyrie," the King said. Hongjoong was shocked at his words, not having expected Balhae to go to war with Valkyrie. There are four Kingdoms, Balhae, the second biggest Kingdom, ruled by a blood-thirsty man named Lee Sungjae. Valkyrie, the most peaceful Kingdom of the four, ruled by Hwang Hyunwoo. Abracia, the smallest of the Kingdoms, ruled by Jang Sanghoon. And Fantasia, their Kingdom and the largest of them all, ruled by Kim Kangdae. Given that Valkyrie is the most peaceful Kingdom, Hongjoong was not expecting Balhae to declare war on them, instead thinking it would be Fantasia.

"What has King Hwang said about it," Hongjoong asked.

"They have asked for aid to help them in their fight," the King replied. Hongjoong nodded, as it was expected given that Fantasia has a much bigger army than Valkyrie. San could tell Hongjoong was prepared to go out and fight to protect their neighbouring Kingdom and braced himself for the Crown Prince's reactions to the Kings decision.

"We have declined and will not be aiding them if Balhae attacks," the King said. Hongjoong's strong façade dropped and before he could stop himself, his face was filled with shock.

"Father, you can't be serious? Valkyrie are our ally and do not have the appropriate resources to defend themselves against an attack from Balhae. They will be invaded and conquered," Hongjoong said.

"Then so be it. Fantasia will not waist our resources unless we are under threat," the King said. Yunho was shocked as well, not expecting the King to abandon an entire Kingdom so desperately in need.

"Father, they won't survive. They have asked for our help, we must help," Hongjoong said, standing in outrage. San glanced at the Prince beside him and chewed on his lip nervously as the King doesn't usually take too kindly to his authority being questioned, even if it's Hongjoong.