HOME

The air was different, even my heart seemed to beat differently. Even Tessa couldn't hide her excitement, I had missed this feeling, this place ,the people. So when Tessa screamed and the people at the airport turned to look at the white girl wondering if she was indeed crazy I only laughed. Indeed according to Tessa "We're in Nigeria Bitches" .It felt good to be home.

Another loud scream interrupted my moment and I needed no soothsayer to tell me whose voice it belonged to "Cally, Amaka"we both shouted at the same time. The elderly couple beside us threw us a glance that said "even you ,a Nigerian is screaming like a child".

            After our hug , Amaka rushed to hug Tessa . The two seemed very much excited to see each other for the first time after years of video calls. Both Tessa and Anika knew my parents and Amaka as I had introduced both groups a long time ago. Back at home unsurprisingly my parents had prepared a feast of meal for us. "Tessa eat more or don't you like the food" my mom continued asking Tessa . An already over filled Tessa barely had the strength to reply ."where do you want her to put the food when you have already overfed her alongside the girls with every meal on this planet" my father murmured rather amused. That burst the whole table into another round of laughter,our launch was filled with bickering and stories. I really missed this feeling of being with my family.

  First thing that hits you in a Nigerian club is the vibe of the music, the loud afrobeat jams barely kept you seated . "This is so fun" Tessa excitedly muttered. "Wait till you meet the hot Nigerian guys" Amaka replied grinning widely . A week in Nigeria has been nothing short of fun , Amaka suggested we spend the weekend at her apartment obviously so we could go clubbing. We spent half of the night drinking and uploading photos and videos on our Instagram feeds. The night was going pretty much good until someone approached me " Cally".

   I froze as I stared into those brown eyes,"jamal" . Dumbfounded had to be an understatement of what I felt right now. "Whose the hottie? Omo Cally this guy fine " the statements rolled out of Tessa and Amaka simultaneously. "Ummh this is Jamal . Jamal ,Tessa and Amaka . My friends" I made the introductions.Jamal also had company and he quickly made introductions. The music was really loud so Jamal suggested we head to the restroom ,I agreed to that since I definitely needed some answers .

"Well I guess you did find me. What are you? Some Mafia man?" I spoke staring at this stranger Infront of me. He chuckled" I've never considered myself one and I can assure you I'm not" . "So your Nigerian? " I asked remembering we never had a conversation to that point. "Half Nigerian, my mom is Yoruba and my dad is Black American. I didn't know you were from Nigeria tho" he hit right back. For some reason I felt glad I bumped into this stranger again ."so now that I have found you again,can we text and meet up sometime" his lips gave me a smile I thought was naughty. "Definitely" I returned the energy and I was sure we would be texting and meeting up often.

   The next week we texted alot and had a few dates I think. It turns out Jamal spent most of his summer as a kid in Nigeria with his maternal grandparents who are still alive.over the years he made friends and still visited the country often , recently he decided to his luxurious real estate business to Nigeria. He was really a nice dude even though we spent most of our time flirting. "Madam, snap out of it " I needed no soothsayer to tell me it was Amaka.Her and Tessa both giggles at me after interrupting my train of thoughts. "I bet she is thinking of Jamal " Tessa concluded with her corny smile... The girls have been teasing me non stop since the night at the club, "can you guys quit teasing me already" I murmured. "You should just sleep with him" Amaka said ,her partner in crime Tessa also approved effortlessly. "Like you have been doing with your Banker neighbor" that shut her up instantly and left Tessa in a fit of laughter. I didn't let it last as I quickly remided her about her smiling sheeplessy at her phone whenever she got a text from Rob. Atlast I had my seasoned victory.

   Jamal frowned at me after I stole the last piece of suya. I almost choked with laughter watching his facial expression,he groaned "seriously,I was going to eat that". I took my time finishing my suya before replying "sorry,I already ate that. We could drive around to get another wrap if you badly want to eat."  He gave a short negative reply before starting the car,I actually felt a bit bad so I pressed on " Are you sure you don't want to eat? We can always get another wrap" . Jamal glanced at me "No for real,I'm good" suddenly he gives a corny smile "But I wouldn't mind eating you." I froze ,my mind racing in directions , "Then what are you waiting for. Scared you won't eat right." I shot back . Jamal pulls over and turns to face me " You do know I can make you scream within seconds. The question is do you want me to? What exactly do you want?" . I shiver at how close his breath was "Honestly I don't know what I really want but tonight I do know I want you." . That was what we both needed for him to start the car, driving into the excitement that the night held for us .