Chapter 3

"Minna!"

"What's up, Luce?"

I looked at Lisanna, then to Natsu, then to Lisanna--all the while brimming with excitement. "The carnival is in town!"

Natsu's face lit up and I watched that familiar childish grin form. Lisanna frowned, staring at the ground. "I have some...work to take care of," she muttered, her voice dry.

I arched an eyebrow suspiciously, but she turned away, avoiding my gaze.

"I'm gonna go!" Natsu cheered, thrusting his fist into the air. "I can't wait to try all the popcorn, soda, ice cream an--"

"You can't go, Natsu," Lisanna suddenly snapped, glaring. "We already have a thing to do tonight."

What had happened to Lis, I wonder? She glanced at her phone, and began to nervously her nails nervously, eyes darting around the room, as if she was worried she was being watched.

I sighed. "Well, I'll go alone, I guess."

Natsu tapped his chin for a moment, before looking at me. "Doesn't Levy have a few days off of work?"

The picture of the short bluenette popped into my mind, and I couldn't help but smile. "We haven't seen each other in ages!" Before any could react, I grabbed my bag and hurried out the door, excited at the thought of seeing my long lost friend.

I hope they're alright.

~

"Lu-Chan!" Levy squealed. "You're really here!"

She pulled me into a tight hug. A firm, muscular hand then settled on her shoulder, making her turn around. Gajeel stood there, long black hair drifting down his tall back, still wearing his same cocky smirk from high-school. "Oi, bunny girl. How's Natsu?"

I hadn't seen any of them in so long it occurred to me that they didn't even know about the wedding.

"He's, uh, married now," I said sheepishly.

Levy's face lit up. "Oh! To you? You lucky girl!" She cheered, searching my hands for a ring. When she didn't find one, her face fell. "Lu-Chan..."

"Lisanna is the lucky girl," I said, trying my best to keep envy out of my voice.

Levy and Gajeel both frowned. "I mean I'm happy for him, but..."

Shaking my head, I dismissed the topic. "I came here to invite you to the carnival; not reminisce on old times. So, anyone up for it?"

Levy looked to Gajeel expectantly, and he nodded, smiling. "Why not? Let's all go have some fun!" Levy cheered.

And we did.

~

It was a small, town-sized carnival, but just seeing it brought back many memories. I could see by Levy's face that she felt the same way. She had gripped Gajeel's hand, and I walked awkwardly along beside them, pointing out all of the concessions.

"Oi, shrimp! Let's get some cotton candy!"

Levy laughed. "Yah, c'mon Lu-Chan! Can't go wrong with some food!" I rolled my eyes, but tagged along. There was a man with a long, grey beard that whisked across the ground, his eyes small and beady.

His eyes lit up as he watched Gajeel waltz over; money in hand. "Oh, ho, ho! What'll it be today, laddies?"

Levy hummed as she skimmed over the menu. "Blue raspberry cotton candy!" She finally decided, and Gajeel nodded, having the same thing. The man turned to me. "What'll you have, young lady?"