𝐏𝐋𝐎𝐓 𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄

It is imperative to outline your plot before you start writing. If you want to go even further, you can also outline each chapter.
To outline your plot, you, firstly, need to know the steps a story takes.

Exposition: Setting the tone, the setting, and the characters.
Inciting Incident: Something happens which will affect the story later.
Rising Action: A series of events lead up to the most important part of the story.
Climax: Towards the end, the most important and exciting part of the story happens. It's like climbing over a hill-once the readers get on top, they can see the horizon and know approximately what will happen next.
Falling Action: The climax's consequences.
Resolution: The conflict caused by the inciting incident is resolved, and so is the story.

Finishing this plot outline is important, for it will motivate you to actually finish your story once you start writing; you will have a concrete ending to get to, a climax to reach, an inciting incident in mind, etc...

With that in mind, this outline should be rough and not include too many details. You can change minor details along the way, but if you have an idea for a huge plot twist, you must include it in your outline and hint at it subtly as your story goes.

This can be a tiring process. I've gone through this many times-what should happen at the end? Should the best friend be the traitor? Should they all die?
Those decisions are all up to you, but you must ensure to plan it all out beforehand to include subtle foreshadowing and clues to your next move.