𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐌𝐄

In this chapter, I will revive my inner 8th grade teacher and explain the concept of the theme of a novel.

A theme is a sentence or phrase representing the message the author is trying to get across through their book.

Many people forget to differentiate the theme and a topic, and yet they are quite different.
A topic is the topic of the theme, whilst the theme incorporates that topic in itself.
For example:
Theme: "Sacrifices are sometimes necessary, and one should be willing to make them if need be."
Above is a simple theme. The topic of that theme is sacrifice.

Now that that's out of the way, what is the point of a theme?
Every good novel has a theme. When writing one professionally, the author should always keep it in mind. It will add a deeper meaning to your story and a connection to the readers.
A story with no theme is like ice-cream with no flavour.

How does one deliver the theme?
There are multiple ways.
A classic one, most commonly used in fables, is simply by stating it. In this case, the theme is a moral lesson. You might've heard of La Fontaine, a French poet who wrote many moral fables, stating the theme at the end of every one.

In novels, however, themes are usually not stated. They are shown through the characters' actions and the consequences that follow them.
Example:
A girl doesn't care about her job. She walks around shopping and is late. When she arrives, she is fired.
The theme here is easily known; Work over pleasure, or something along those lines.

Can a story have multiple themes?
Yes, absolutely! And even if you come up with just one, there will most likely be another one hidden between your story's numerous layers.
A theme in itself can be phrased and understood in different ways.

I hope that has cleared some confusion, and if anyone is still doubtful, do not hesitate to ask me or search it up!