𝐊𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐒

Many stories contain the heart-wrenching death of a beloved character. Maybe you want to kill a character of yours off too. Here is how to go about it, but first, ask yourself a few questions.

Why are you killing this character?
Is this death necessary?
Is this death relevant to the plot?

It is best to include a character's death for a reason, and not purely to add to someone's tragic backstory.

Now, let's move along to the actual procedure.
How to make a character's death sad?
To write a moving death, you must first establish a connection between the character and the reader. Make them likeable or relatable. Make the reader feel sympathy for them. Establishing a bond will most certainly make the death much, much more heartbreaking.
One example of this in my writing is in a book I have not yet published. I was originally planning to start the book off with a major character's death, but then decided that I wanted the reader to grieve along with the characters, and so I set the first chapter 2 years earlier instead, to develop the character and, only later, kill them off.

Secondly, show the impact the death has on the other characters.
In real life, a loved one's death is seldom glossed over. If your characters remain unaffected, writing a tragic death will be more difficult. You mustn't let them quickly move on; if they were close to that character, the impact will last longer.
Many times, when reading or even watching a movie, the death doesn't phase me much. The others' reaction is what truly makes me teary.

Now that those few points are established, I believe you are ready to attempt writing a tragic death scene. See how it goes, and good luck!