Chapter 10 || Keep pushing

Y/N POV
Circuit Albert Park, Melbourne

I wanted to help rebuild the car, but my team boss told me to take my alone time.

I entered my private room, tears rolling over my cheeks from guilt, the car was so good on friday, the lap I set before the crash looked even better. But now the mechanics had to rebuild the whole setup... A whole rear suspension, a rear wing, possibly a new gearbox and the risk of having a new power unit.

Fuck sake, I'm so stupid, these are the moments I would not want to be me and rather be in the perspective of a fan.

The guilt is burning... I need something to listen to.

I grabbed my phone, still with shaking hands and put on Stay numb and carry a song from Madison, it was a song from her freshly released album Life Support.

The song helped me calm down and I finally came back to my senses...

Once the song was over I felt much better, I picked myself up again and walked back into the garage. The whole team was shuffling around, trying to get spare parts and put em on. I instantly went on to help wherever I could.

It was only a few hours before qualifying would start. I helped removing the rear wing and we took of the engine cover.

Luckily the power unit and gearbox got away with zero damage. Said a mechanic.

Phew, that's two headaches gone.

The mechanics and I spend the remaining hours, trying to get it up and ready for qualifying, we did everything we could.

It took us hours, upon hours, qualifying had already begun and the stress was through the roof,
I haven't even felt the track conditions.

But then our luck came in, Lando Norris' McLaren spun off in turn 6 and went hard into the tire wall. A red flag was shown and that gave the team and I more time.

Y/N, prepare to get in the car, we are going to make it! Said Jeff.

It was only 6 minutes in this session left.

I rushed into my racing suit, put everything on and stepped into the garage.

Suddenly my mind was all on qualifying, I cut off all the thoughts.

The engine was being started and the C5 soft tires were put onto the car.

4 minutes remaining, this will need to be an absolute miracle lap. Said Jeff into the radio.

I got the sign to go and I did, now I needed to warm my tires optimal and make sure my electronics were all set properly.

And recharge on Y/N, work the tires gently and concentrate. Said Jeff, clearly tensed up.

Yeah, I'll do, I just want to thank the team for bringing me out of here, after such a tricky morning. Let's get it boys and girls. I said over the radio while warming my tires.

I entered the final sector...

And recharge off Y/N. Said Jeff.