GRANDMA LYDIA & SAM

INDIAN OCEAN – OFF THE COAST OF INDIA - 1879 

 Lydia Mac Paidin gazed out the porthole across a vast expanse of choppy blue water. A distant shoreline was coming into view, and she was beginning to feel an anxious yearning for solid ground beneath her feet.

Ship-life was not something she ever imagined she would be destined for, and after these months at sea, she was aching for life on land.

Turning from the window to view her current surroundings, she inhaled deeply, then let out an exaggerated sigh. She was not fond of the late 1800s. She thought of herself as a more modern girl. The kerosene lantern hanging from a hook on the far wall, used to illuminate her cabin, had an offensive odor that permeated the space. The inkpot sitting on the rickety, wooden writing table in the corner, was messy, leaving ugly splotches all over its surface. And its accompanying feather quill was an unfamiliar and cumbersome tool used for composing letters. She missed the conveniences of the 20th century — small things like electricity and telephones and commercial air travel.

Lydia was anxious to return to her own time and location. If only she would hear back from Jack. She hoped he would figure out how to use the telescope.

A knock on the rough-hewn oak door interrupted her reverie.

"Yes, enter." She said. And she watched as the antique-looking brass knob turned slowly and the door creaked open.

"Hi, Sam," she said, with a smile, when the 13-year-old appeared in her doorway.

"Mistress Lydia," the girl paused, glancing around the room before continuing, "Uncle Joe wanted me to find out if there is anything you're going to need before we disembark." Her eyes came to a stop on the worn, leather-bound trunk standing open at the end of Lydia's bed.

"I think I'm almost finished packing." Lydia looked down at the trunk. "Just a few more items and I'll be ready to lock this thing up." She motioned toward the clothing and other items placed neatly inside the case. "Will you please ask your uncle to send someone down to haul it up on deck for me?" When the girl nodded her head, Lydia continued, "How are you doing, Sam? Excited about this new adventure? India seems very exotic!"

"I'm a little nervous," Sam said, and she fidgeted with the folds of her skirt before looking up. "It's just that I'm so different from the people there." She said, looking apprehensively at Lydia.

"That's understandable. But keep in mind that being different can be an advantage sometimes." Lydia said, stepping forward and reaching out to caress the strawberry locks on the young girl's head. "I'll bet all the local kids will find your differences very enticing."

Sam averted her eyes, gazing down at her hands. Little orange sparks were barely visible, bouncing from her fingertips.

Lydia glanced at them, and pursed her lips, then added, "Hey, at least they speak English! So, that's a big plus." She smiled brightly at Sam.

"Yes, that's a plus." Sam grinned weakly. "I'd better go tell Uncle Joe about your trunk." And she turned to leave.

"Actually, on second thought, I'll come with you," Lydia reached for the charcoal grey, woolen cape hanging on a brass hook next to the door and tossed it over her shoulders. "I could use some fresh air and a walk on deck." She stroked the girl's hair then the two of them stepped out of the dim cabin and headed up the rough wooden stairs leading to the ship's surface.

Emerging from the protection of the staircase, they were greeted by brisk winds that slapped sharply against their faces, prompting Lydia to quickly lift the hood of her cape and tie it beneath her chin. She was glad for the crisp salt air after being cooped up in that small cabin most of the day. Walking cautiously to the side of the boat, she quickly grasped the handrail to balance herself, before gazing out across the choppy waters. Off in the distance a coastline was visible with evidence of civilization coming into view.

Staring down into the ocean's depths made her think of the first time she embarked on a similar voyage...