AN INSIDE JOB

DUBLIN, IRELAND - PRESENT DAY 

 "And if I tell you what I know? What then? Am I supposed to trust that you'll just let me go? You said redemption requires sacrifice, and that I'll have to pay a price. Does that mean you plan to turn me over to the authorities?" Clara Mac Paidin held Ardal Flanagan's gaze without blinking.

Ardal sat quietly for a long moment, then stood, slipping the pendant into the pocket of his tweed jacket. "Honestly, we haven't decided what to do with ye, as yet," he looked down at the disheveled woman before him, then turned his back on her, walking to the wall where a small window allowed a sliver of outdoor daylight to stream into the cell. "Someone must pay for those murders, Clara, and yer level of participation has yet to be determined. But I will tell ye this much," he turned again to face her, "yer cooperation in building a case against yer sister will go a long way toward securing yer freedom. I know it won't be easy for ye, betraying yer sister. But," he sat again and reached out, lifting her chin with his index finger, "'tis the right thing to do, and I think ye know that, Lassie."

Clara jerked her head away and turned to stare at the nothingness of the wall beside her.

"So, how would this plan of yours work?" she whispered under her breath.

Ardal Flanagan sat back in his chair, "Well, first I will release ye from this cell to bathe and dress in clean clothes. We'll feed ye a proper meal and allow ye to rest up, and then..." he retrieved the pendant from his pocket once again, "Ye will use this here pendant to return ta yer sister, with the understanding, of course, that ye are ta gather information about her plans fer those boys, and report back ta me with details," he raised his left eyebrow and nodded in her direction.

"But before we proceed with any further," he continued, "ye must divulge why these boys are being held captive. And what The Cabal intends to do with them."

"Ethan isn't being held against his will," Clara blurted, "he's a willing participant," her eyes opened wide, "It's true," she objected when the older gentleman blinked slowly in response, "We contrived a plan convincing him that Jack is being groomed to replace him as the Mac Paidin heir apparent, usurping his rightful position and title in the family line. He wants to displace his little brother."

Ardal lifted his chin to the side and pursed his lips, "Hmm...be that as it may, why this intense interest in yer nephews? What is the desired outcome? And why plot their parents murder? What have ye girls ta gain in all of this deception?" He leaned forward again, a dark foreboding in his demeanor.

"It's not just the boys. They want all three children. Sadie, too."

Ardal Flanagan slumped back in his chair, visible dismay on his face.

"But, why?" He slowly shook his head from side to side.

"Silly, old man," Clara began, "don't you know about The Power of Three?"